~Chapter Six~

Shayne

I left work and drove to the address that Skyler gave me for Sabine's apartment. My cellphone rang and I put it on Bluetooth. "Hello Aunt Ava. I'm so sorry I forgot to call and let you know, I had someone picking up Astrid tonight. Please apologize to the Thatchers for me. Skyler Pennington is actually dating, Sabine. We are going on a double date. I was running late and asked him to pick her up. Sorry for the confusion." Whew, I'm glad I got out of that with Aunt Ava. I felt her eyes narrowing at me through the phone.

I pulled up in front of the apartment complex and ran inside. Maybe I should yell, "Surprise," when Sabine opens the door.

Sabine

I couldn't figure out what to wear tonight for this double date. Now suddenly, I feel nervous. I'm just going to put on my nice fitting jeans and a pretty top. I'll leave my hair out with my natural wavy hair.

My doorbell rang and caught me off guard. I'm still not fully ready. Skyler is supposed to be here at 5:30 p.m. and it's 5:15 p.m. Well, he'll just have to sit and wait for me to finish getting ready.

"Just a minute," I yelled out, as I was on my way to answer the door.

I opened the door, my eyes grew big, and my chin fell to the floor. "Shayne. . ." That one word was all I could utter. I was so unsettled, seeing him here.

"I'm sorry, I know you were expecting Skyler. It's a long story, but you and I will meet him and Astrid at the movies. Can I step in from the hallway?" He walked past me, as I was unable to move.

"You have a very nice apartment. I see you're in the middle of decorating—by your paint samples on the walls." He observed.

I still had a hard time forming a sentence. His presence in my apartment knocked me for a loop. "Y-yes, I recently moved in."

"I know you're not convinced of my decorating skills, but I like the grey beige colors. They are very popular." He glanced at my paint samples on the wall.

I gulped. "Thank you."

The man had me in utter shock mode, as he stood there looking incredibly handsome, with the best smelling cologne. And he was actually being very down to earth.

"I have to finish getting ready. You can have a seat in the living room. Can I get you something to drink?" I figured I should be hospitable.

He plopped down on my couch. "No thank you, I'm fine. I'll just check my emails, while I wait for you."

I nodded my head and strode to my bedroom, half dazed. I wasn't quite sure what to make of the affect he had on me, just now. My heart was beating erratically and my palms were sweating. This can't be good. . .

I decided to change into something really cute. I applied my makeup like I saw on YouTube, recently. I did a little extra fussing with my appearance, now that Shayne was sitting in my living room and driving me to my date. I can't explain why I want to look extra pretty.

Shayne did a double take, as I stepped into the living room. "Hey, you're ready. Y-you look beautiful," his voice was shaky, and he seemed unnerved.

"Thank you." I blushed pink, red, and then purple.

"We had better get going, I don't want Skyler getting suspicious." He half joked.

He opened my car door. I felt butterflies, as he stood directly behind me while I got in his silver Lexus LC sports car. I would never in a million years—expect Shayne Carrington to give me butterflies. I put my hand to my forehead, maybe I'm coming down with something.