~Chapter Nine~

Shayne

I arrived at work extra early. I woke up in the middle of the night, unable to fall back to sleep. I stubbed my toe getting out of bed before sunrise. I wanted to yell from the pain. I didn't want to awaken the sleeping household, especially my sleeping nephew, Baby Colin.

I bit my tongue and hopped around on one foot to the shower. I must really have a lot of stress. I'm thinking about our finances at Carrington Enterprises and how to start seeing gains, instead of losses.

I also couldn't stop thinking about, Sabine. I can't remember enjoying a woman's company so much on a non-date. She was so vulnerable, and heartbroken last night. She was beautiful and I felt a magnetic pull to her—like I've never imagined possible. Her dark eyes, expressed a deep sadness.

I thoroughly scrutinized her through different eyes, and saw someone worth getting to know better. She has a depth to her, I didn't appreciate before last night. I wear a mask to hide my insecurities and self esteem issues. I get the feeling that at times she masks hers too.

I realize that I had better tread carefully with her, before I get in way too deep.

I poured a cup of coffee before walking into my office and eyed Sabine at her desk. "Good morning. How did you slip past me?" I raised one eyebrow up at her, with a quirk on my lips.

"You looked deeply contemplative, I quietly slipped to my desk. I didn't want to disturb you." She wrinkled her forehead, while examining a spreadsheet.

"I do have a lot on my mind—I'm playing with some ideas. When you have a free moment, I'd like to get your opinion." I sat down absentmindedly in a chair near her desk.

She looked puzzled, as I was empty handed. "Aren't your figures on your desk? Not that you have to leave. You're welcome to sit here at my desk."

"Don't mind me, I'm still waking up." I offered a simple smile.

She returned my smile. "I didn't sleep well either. I can join you in your office now and look at your ideas." Her eyes glowed with interest.

"That would be perfect." I said with an emphasis and winked.

Sabine

So, he did remember telling me I looked perfect last night. My heart started to make sudden movement, and my insides were fluttering. I stood frozen in place for a few seconds, trying to figure out my next statement.

Just then my cellphone ringing saved me. "Hello? I'm very busy right now, Skyler. Can I give you an answer later today? Okay, thanks." I was short with him.

I placed my cellphone in my suit jacket. "That was Skyler inviting me to dinner tonight. He wants to explain the whole Astrid thing to me, and see if he and I have a future?" I grimaced at Shayne.

"Oh, are you going?" He stood there sipping his coffee, like my answer really mattered.

"I don't know what to do," I answered apprehensively. I couldn't look at him, I didn't want to see the expression on his face.

He nonchalantly changed the subject. "Let me show you the new ideas that I have, before I present them."

I wondered what he really thought about me and Skyler, after what happened yesterday?

*****

We spent the morning in Shayne's office going over his proposal. He was going to present it to the board, later this afternoon. I loved his ideas and I found that I loved conversing with him, as well. We danced around the elephant in the room, of our non-date last night.