12. House of Pain (1992)

*** *** Weekend Write-In for 15th Jun 2018 *** ***

"bounce": In 500 words, tell what happens when it bounces

Da Nang, Vietnam. August 1992.

Bar Chim Lac

Brock looked into the dingy interior. 'Blonde? The punky looking one with the tats?'

Liem nodded. 'She American Mr Brock. Order beer, ask when Mr Smith in.'

The Australian frowned. 'So she's a mate of Smith. Probably some tourist Sheila he picked up, come ta low town lookin' fer a thrill.'

'She give card. Say show man in charge. That when I go fetch you.'

Brock examined the card. 'Reaper? This s'posed ta mean something?'

'Turn card over.'

The muscular Aussie complied. There was just one word. 'Time.' He paused. 'Take this to the back office and show the doctor.'

***

The doctor frowned. 'A blonde girl, you say? She did not ask about me? But instead her interest, it vas in our bouncer, Herr Schmitt?'

Brock nodded. 'That's the long n short of it Doc. Liem reckons she's been here about four hours - drank a steady stream of beers an broke some guy's arm when he tried it on.'

'Describe her tattoo.'

'Right forearm - hard ta see, but some kinda pagan devil an somethin' I can't make out on the same hand. Letters on her knuckles. Looks like H.A.T.E.'

The fair haired man in the light suit nodded. 'Ah yes. No doubt the left hand has the letters for Love. So pedestrian. I am certain that I know the identity of this young lady, but you vill please to bring her up on the interior cameras.'

The Australian complied.

'Ah yes, it is so. Her name is Staci Scott - I am vell acquainted viz both her parents. The resemblance ... yes she favours her mother. It is quite uncanny in fact - a shame she despoils her body and dresses in such a manner. As I recall, Emilia was quite lovely and demurely elegant. But such is ze younger generation Herr Brock.'

'What's she doin' here boss? Ya think her ol man sent her?'

'I do not. If Herr Scott had any inkling about my presence in Vietnam, he vould come himself and by now zis bar vould be a slaughterhouse. Nein, she is here for two reasons - ze first is to track down Schmitt, or as she knows him, the ex mercenary adventurer and companion of her father, known as Sharpshot.'

'And the other reason boss?'

'She showed ze card, here, in public. The daughter of Time would not announce herself thus, unless ... she intends to compete in the tournament and uses her father's sigil as her entry. Call Schmitt ... tell him he must facilitate her desire and remove her from zese premises. It is obvious she knows nothing about ... our alliance.'

***

Sharpshot looked around as he entered - Staci was doing shots at the bar. He walked over.

'Hey princess, long time no ...'

Staci rose unsteadily to her feet as he was talking and punched him.

'I guess I deserved ...' he was cut off a second time as she grabbed his face and kissed him hard.

***

Minutes later they were sat at a table in a darkened corner.

'Stace, I'm sorry about ...'

'Shut the fuck up,' Staci replied pleasantly, 'And get me another beer. Then you can make it up to me. You know what I want.'

Sharpshot nodded. 'The Reaper card. Word didn't take long to get out. Are you sure Stace?'

Staci glared at him and Sharpshot held up his hands.

'Ok, ok, stupid question. You want to fight in the House of Pain. I'll make the arrangements but not from here. Let's bounce - I'll buy ya that beer someplace better than this shit hole.'

'If it's a shit hole, why are you working here?'

Sharpshot shrugged. 'It's a living, but I make some money doing side jobs. There's a good purse in the shooting category at the House, much better than goin in the cage with some of the animals that ...' he paused at her expression. 'Ok, I know I ain't gonna talk you out of this, but how come your old man ain't here. You guys ain't fallen out have ya?'

Staci finished her last drink and stood. 'Nothin' like that Shot' Dad got fucked up in a fight last week - he's still recovering. Got in between that guy with the claws and some time travelling musclehead called Caber or somethin'. I'm here because my old man beat the House three times an now It's lil Staci's turn.'

Sharpshot nodded. 'Well first round ain't until tomorrow - let's go get wasted.'

'Sounds good.'