8. Sealed Orders (1950)

*** *** Weekend Write-In for 8th September 2017 *** ***

"instructions": Tell what happens when instructions are followed

A HOT TIME IN THE OLD TOWN

Where was I when the news came down the wire? Manhattan, attendin' a swanky uptown apartment party - it was part of a case an the very last time I wore the costume. Me n my date were out ta bust up a drugs ring that were preying on teenagers from the upper set. Young impressionable kids, just becoming adults but without the damn sense God gave em.

Now this was after the war - when I was that age I was fightin' the good fight an then takin' it ta the nazis an the commies, but then again it ain't as if I were a blueblood in the first place.

The low-lives me n 'the blonde' were after, came after the kids at deb balls an high falutin' society parties, buttered em up an got em hooked. Then they bled em dry. I stumbled inta the racket on the street level an one night in late May I was bustin' heads when in she comes ... long blonde hair ala Veronica Lake, domino mask an her slinky red evenin' dress. God knows how she managed in them high heels but the gal had moxy ... an a pistol in each hand. Sure I knew her, by reputation mainly - well when the shootin' stopped she wised me up ta the big picture an we decided ta have ourselves a team up.

But this ain't a story about me n the phantom. This is how I got back in ta the service.

We were just finishin' up - late June of 50. 

'Say, you're mighty handy with that scythe FT. Hows about we make this a permanent partnership?'

I pulled my blade free of the head of the drug ring's chest an considered. 'You ain't s'bad yerself sister an us costumed types oughtta stick together. Whatever happened ta the big guns ya ran with?'

'The squad? Broke up last year. Maybe you n me can find a few others and reform the team for a new decade?'

'Maybe,' I answered cautiously - I wasn't one for the costume crowd scene, not in civvie street. 'Fer now what say we just stick to a partnership. BP an FT?'

'Sure. Wanna seal it with a ...'

But then the radio sparked ta life an she never got to finish what she'd started to say ... The commies had crossed the 38th parallel and the Korean War was about ta kick off. All hell would break loose an damned if I wasn't gonna be a part of it!

 All hell would break loose an damned if I wasn't gonna be a part of it!

RE-UP

Well it took a few months but I called in a few favors, got contacts ta put out the word an put me in touch with the right people an eventually I was back in, an lemme tell ya, it felt like I'd never left. Back in the big one the Special Unit Enhanced Soldiers were a big deal but most a those boys wuz gone now. Damn few of us survived the war - mebbe a dozen or more an it turns out most of us wanted another crack at soldierin'