Chapter 12 - The Gifts

Jack felt as a million daggers were stabbing at the inside of his chest. Every part of him ached. "Rapunzel, can you hear me? Please wake up," He begged with desperation, "This can't be happening!"

"Well, that's one down.." Pitch proclaimed with an evil and twisted pleasure in his voice. "Now I only have you and your other two friends to get out of the way Jack, and then I can begin my master plan and take over the world!" He laughed darkly.

Then all of a sudden, the fierce scottish voice of a girl with hair as fiery as her personality ripped through the air behind Pitch. It was Merida, with Hiccup by her side. "Sorry to ruin your plans Pitch, but you're not going to be taking over the world anytime soon..." And with that an army of wickedly sharp, shining arrows soared through the air towards Pitch Black fired from Merida and Hiccup.

"Aah look! Now the whole gang is here.." Pitch turned towards the two of them with his arms out-stretched, he was chuckling cynically, "Now we can have some fun!..."

He raised his gruesome hands above his head and fired a large, terrifying blast of black sand towards Merida and Hiccup, causing them to fall to the ground helplessly. "Oh my, this is even easier than I thought it would be, atleast give me a challenge.." Pitch taunted them cruelly. 

In a blind panic from seeing his two friends being attacked, Jack carefully lifted Rapunzel and set her down gently on the ground where she slept still and serenely. He then leapt to his feet, with his staff clutched in his hands and darted over to Pitch Black, shooting blasts of ice and snow towards him.

Pitch Black, however, with a single flick of his wrist fired a torpedo of onyx sand back towards Jack, so deathly and darkly powerful it knocked him straight to the ground as if he were made of paper.

"Hey!" Somebody suddenly yelled angrily, Jack twisted his head around to see that it was Hiccup. "Leave my friends alone!" He threatened Pitch, and as he scrambled to his feet Hiccup was actually surprised at how his voice didn't shake even a little when he spoke. 

"Alright then.." Pitch Black glowered towards Hiccup, "I'll leave them alone for now... How about I deal with you first?" And as he spoke he unbelievably moved quicker than a flash of lightning towards Hiccup. Pitch captured him in a painfully strong, black chain which he had created out of thin air with one lazy swish of his hand.

"Let go of me!" Hiccup demanded, he struggled desperately with all his might to break free of Pitch's clutches, but it was no use, Pitch was too strong, his grasp like a death lock. Pitch stalked over dangerously and petrifyingly close to the edge of the cliff they were all standing on, dragging Hiccup with him.

Merida and Jack stood facing Pitch Black, they were standing their ground, Jack holding in position his magical staff as a weapon, and Merida holding her bow and arrow, poised to fire towards Pitch. Both the boy and girl had expressions that showed determination as strong as steel across their faces. "Release him now Pitch, or else!.." Jack warned dangerously, his voice as hard and cold as razor sharp icicles.

"Hmmm, you know what? I don't think I will..." Pitch poisonously muttered, still standing on the cliff edge. Then, with the hand he had free, which was not holding Hiccup, he snapped his fingers together (which created a sound as horrific as bones scraping one another) and a deadly cloud of darkness was fired straight towards Merida, powerfully striking her through the chest, and knocking her flying to the ground.

"No!!" Hiccup cried. Agonizingly he struggled to break free of Pitch's lock, but no matter how hard he tried he couldn't. He had no choice but to stand helplessly and look at Merida lying injured and weak in a heap on the ground.

Hiccup's brain was spinning with so many horrifying thoughts, but he had to force himself to remain calm. He just needed to think... if he could just think of something he could do, he might still be able to save his friends.