Chapter 10 - A Voice From The Shadows

This mystifying night had lasted forever, at least that was what it seemed like to Jack. Saying that, he didn’t quite mind, he liked being with Rapunzel and longed to stay with her for as long as possible.

They had been ambling along through the woods for quite a while now, and every so often Jack would gaze up at the bedazzling night sky, cautiously looking at the four shining stars that were more and more gradually moving closer together in alignment as the night went on.

Jack wondered thoughtfully about what was waiting in store for them from the dreaded Pitch Black. However, unlike Rapunzel, Jack wasn’t nervous in the slightest and was actually full of confidence about what lay ahead. Jack had discovered his magnificent powers of ice and snow when he was very young, and delighted in having them. He’d always used his powers to bring ebullience and joy, not only to himself but also to others; spectacular snow days, marvellous ice-skating rinks, thrilling snowball fights… the fun was endless! Now, for the first time, Jack would need to use his powers for fighting, for defeating Pitch Black. Anyone else would have been scared, Jack Frost, on the other hand, felt excited.

“Jack! Look!” It was Rapunzel’s voice, she was wandering a few steps ahead of him, awakening Jack from his captivating thoughts. She was beaming her dazzling smile and pointing up towards the sky, Jack followed her gaze, expecting her to be looking at the four stars. But it was not the stars she was looking at. Up above was the majestic figure of Hiccup’s midnight black dragon, Toothless. His august wings slowed down their beating and the glorious dragon lowered to the ground beside Jack and Rapunzel, revealing to them their two friends Hiccup and Merida sat upon his back.

Before anyone could speak, Merida had leapt down off of Toothless, her crimson flamed hair flying behind her like a lioness, and threw her arms around Rapunzel and Jack.

“Finally all together again! I was starting to get worried about you two!” She exclaimed, laughing. “Hiccup and Toothless found me not long ago, and Hiccup told me everything,” She said, indicating her head towards Hiccup who was climbing down from Toothless, smiling with happiness and relief looking at his three friends.

 “Well, we haven’t got any time to lose,” Jack said, looking at the three hopeful faces of his friends (and Toothless) before him.

The four of them stood facing one another, in a perfect circle in the middle of the alluring forest clearing. The glittering Stars of Summer, Spring, Autumn and Winter twinkling knowingly above them.

“So,” Said Rapunzel, half-nervously, half-excitedly. “What do we do now?”

“Now, I guess we just have to find Pitch Black,” Jack said, “or we’ll wait here, wait until he finds us.”

Suddenly, a deathly cold, menacing voice seeped out of the shadows, a voice that injected terror into the air, a voice that sent a shiver of fright down the spines of each of the four, a voice like none of them had ever heard in their lives…

“I don’t think you’ll be waiting for very long…”