Chapter 5

The boys were frozen. All looking at each other waiting for someone to say something. The tension in the room could be cut with a knife. Liam cleared his throat and swallowed thickly.

"H-He's uh- a

"A video game character!" Harry finished quickly.

"Y-Yeah he's not real or anything just a character!" Niall let out

Karen scanned the boys closely, examining their faces as if she was looking for any suspect behavior.

There was a long pause of ghostly silence.

Which was then cut short by Louis who cleared his throat and said

"Well! This was fun and all but me mums gonna be askin' for me so I'll see you lot later!" and quickly exiting the house with everyone else behind him hastily scrambling to escape the compromising situation, except Liam who shut the door and was left with his mother.

"What was that about? I swear those lads get weirder every time I see them" she sighs and walks toward the table to clean up the mess the boys had made in their wake. Then she turned to Liam but was surprised when there was no one there, the boy had already headed to his room. Teens huh? She thought and with a hand on her hip and went back to cleaning.

-----
"Zayn! You almost got discovered!" Liam exclaimed to the boy sitting on his floor with a confused look on his face. Why was Liam yelling at him?

"Zayn you can't leave my room if my moms home! Then you'll get taken away! Don't you understand?!" Liam shouts and Zayn looked hurt. He knew that Liam was angry because he knew smiling and laughing meant he'd done something good. Yelling and being loud meant he'd done something bad. He didn't like seeing Liam angry. It scared him.

The boy looked up at Liam (who was less mad and more shook up that he'd almost gotten caught) and then he looked back down at the floor letting a small hiccup escape his lips.

This caught Liam off guard.

"Are you-? Wait no! No don't cry!" Liam said getting on his knees in front of the boy. But it was to late, he was already letting hot tears spill down his cheeks with tiny sobs.

"No Zayn don't cry! I-I'm sorry for shouting at you" Liam apologizes and took the boy into his chest.

In all honesty it was heart breaking to see Zayn cry. It ironically was like he'd just kicked a puppy.

"I'm sorry babe, I didn't mean to upset you" Liam cooed gently rubbing circles in the boys back as his crying was soon dissolved into small sniffles and quiet whimpers in his arms. Liam didn't even know Zayn knew how to cry, he'd never seen him do it before.

Liam then gently pulled away from the boy. His caramel eyes were red and puffy as he sniffled looking up at Liam with a pitiful pout.

"I'm sorry Zayn I really didn't mean to yell at you, I was just startled" Liam says gently.

"How about we go to bed, yeah? It's been a long day" Liam suggests and picks him up and puts him on the couch, the older boy laid the younger down and put a blanket over him. He then walked over to his own bed and settled in, reaching an arm out to turn the lamp off. "Goodnight Zayn" he said and rolled over.

Zayn sat up. He wasn't used to not sleeping beside someone. Someone being his pack, his mother, or Liam. Just someone. Being alone scared him but he couldn't quite remember why.

He then crawled off the couch and sauntered over to the side of Liam's bed. Zayn watched the boy for a little, his breathing was quiet and gentle, but could still be heard over the soft blowing of the ceiling fan and the chirp of crickets outside of the window.