Chapter 1

The boy ran, he ran as fast as he could, icy snow freezing his hands and knees as he tried his best to keep up with his pack, their black tails swinging as they ran. They were running so fast they looked like raven blurs to the boy.

He'd always wondered why they were so fast and he wasn't, always at the very back when they were running unable to keep up with them. Maybe it was because he looked different than them, he didn't know, and he didn't dwell on it, he just concentrated on running.

He loved to run, to feel the crisp frigid air on his face and breezing through his hair. The part he didn't love all that much was the snow, numbing the palms of his hands and knees as he ran. It really hurt but he could always push through as the thought of getting left behind had always scared him he hated being alone.

As the pack came to a stop while running in the paper white snow they settled on a place to rest. Thin trees scattered about with a few evergreen bushes peppered here and there, fluffy white snow covering them, and a few twigs sticking up out of the frosty ground and all the wolves, tired, and unable to find a nice cave to rest in, slept in the freezing snow, all cuddled up to one another, the rest of his brothers and sisters fur kept them warm during the winter, he had always been jealous of this fact.

The shivering boy crawled over to his mother and cuddled up to her, trying to get as much warmth as he could from her as he didn't have that much fur to warm himself up with so he nuzzled his face into her neck, toasty black fur tickling his nose as he wrapped his arms around her, the boy really loved his mother, she would take care of him, as he could seldom take care of himself, it was very dangerous in the wild someone had to protect him.

The boy, trying to catch his breathe, stuck his tongue out panting, throat becoming dry as he inhaled the cool air. One of the delta wolves of his 5 part pack coming over to him with some raw deer meat, red and covered in blood. The wolf licked him on his cheek after dropping the meat in front of him. The boy smiled at the kind gesture from his brother and moved from his mother bending down to bite as hard he could into the cold pink fleshy meat the delta had brought to him.

Delta, he had always wanted to be a delta like his brothers. They were strong and tough, and respected by the alpha of the pack. He would love to hunt with the deltas, but the alpha and everyone else didn't deem him strong or fast or tough enough to be one.

That confused him. His fur was black just like his packs was, he just didn't have as much fur as everyone else. He could run just like his pack could, just not as fast as everyone else. He could do everything his pack could do.

Just not as good as everyone else.

The boy whimpered at his puzzling thoughts as he picked up the deer meat with his teeth to share with his mother who was licking the fur on his head, her rough tongue brushing pleasantly against his scalp, but the comforting sensation still didn't distract him from how much he hated being the omega of the pack, it made him feel weak. He could barely even get his teeth through the deer meat he was chewing on. So with a turn of the head he threw it aside, now becoming frustrated at how weak and different he was.

So he ran away he ran as quick as he could to try and clear his mind, it always made him feel better. His already numb hands and knees hitting the freezing ground leaving dents in the snow.

His hands eventually start to ache and sting after the continuos sprint in the snow and he was getting very far from his pack so he stopped, and stuck his tongue out taking short sharp breathes.

POW!

The boys head snapped towards the noise. He had heard that noise before and he knew it wasn't good.