31

Ruka (2)

It was already dark out and Zuko was getting worse. Every so often, he would shudder while he slept. I wiped the sweat from his forehead then patted the towel down to keep him cool.

I sighed, "I wish there was more I could do."

"You are doing enough." Iroh said. "This is something he has to go through."

Before I could ask why, Zuko slowly opened his eyes. When he wakes up, we give him as much fluid as he wants then he goes right back to sleep.

"You should know this is not a natural sickness," Iroh told Zuko as he poured him his own cup of tea. "but that shouldn't stop you from enjoying tea." Iroh sat Zuko up and put the cup of tea to his lips.

After Zuko took a sip of it, he wearingly asked Iroh, "Wh- what's happening?"

"Your critical decision - what you did beneath that lake, it was in such conflict with your image of yourself that you are now at war within your own mind and body."

Zuko took another sip of his tea. "What's that mean?" He coughed into his hand and I frowned. I laid him back down and softly brushed his hair back.

"You are going through a metamorphosis, my nephew." Iroh shook his head, "It will not be a pleasant experience. But when you come out of it, you will be the beautiful prince you were always meant to be."

As zuko fell back asleep, I looked up at Iroh. "How much longer?"

"Only time will tell."

When Zuko shuddered again, I grabbed ahold of his hand and gave it a small squeeze. "This isn't fair."

"When this is all over, you won't even recognize him."

With my free hand, I brushed my finger down the side of his face slowly before singing a lullaby I haven't heard in a few years.

"Goodnight, goodnight
It's time now to sleep.
The moon's watching over
You and your dreams.

Goodnight, goodnight
My sweet little one
Tomorrow your eyes
They will light up the sun."

"That is a beautiful lullaby." Iroh slightly smiled.

"My father used to sing it to me when I just finished having a nightmare. The only way he could put me back to sleep was cradling me in his arms while he sang."

"But goodnight, goodnight
Sweet dreams for now.
Drift off to sleep
On your pillow of clouds.

Goodnight, goodnight
My sweet little friend.
Tomorrow's adventures, they will soon begin.
Tomorrow's adventures will soon begin."

I wiped away the tears that formed in my eyes and smiled. Oh how I miss you, dad.

"How do you feel about your siblings being in Ba Sing Se?" Iroh asked me.

"...I hope they're well... and their purpose for coming to the city was fulfilled." I looked down at my hands and fidgeted my fingers. "Is it bad that I hope I don't see them? Because if I do, I feel like I have to tell them about me and Zuko. I can't lie.

I've disappointed them enough because Iroh, you should've seen the look on their faces when I told them I was going to be traveling with you and Zuko. A-and then when I told them to leave after you were hit by Azula — they wanted me to go with them, th-they gave me another chance and I told them to leave. But I wasn't going to leave you... y-you two needed me."

My eyes averted to Zuko. "This wasn't supposed to happen."

"What wasn't?"

"Me and Zuko -- this romantic bond we have." I faced Iroh. "I'm supposed to help him go on the right path, but I feel like I've done nothing."

Iroh shook his head. "That isn't true. He's learned to love again. Ruka, my nephew is a better man because of you."

I shook my head with a soft smile. "He's always been a better man. He just didn't think he could be one."

"Though you don't regret anything. Why?"

"...Iroh, I love him. I think I might even be in love with him."

"I believe my nephew had fallen in love with you before you two even acknowledged your feelings for one another. What you two have is a good thing. And your siblings will understand that."

I sighed. "Only time will tell."

"Get some rest, Ruka. This is going to last all night."

I laid down beside Zuko, resting my arm under my head. I gazed at him for a moment before my eyes closed and an image of my father appeared.

Side Note: Sadly, I didn't write the lullaby you just read, I'm not that talented haha. One of my favorite artists, Sleeping At Last, wrote it and it's called Lullaby.