07

Ruka (2)

It's been a few days since Zuko and I separated from Iroh - without food and very little water.

I've stayed seated behind Zuko, he won't let me take over. 'You'll get us killed' he tells me.

I've been too hungry or tired to think of anything but food or proper sleep.

When I felt Jimbo abruptly stop, I raised my head and followed to where Zuko was looking. I felt my mouth water at the smell of the meat the refugees below us were cooking.

Zuko and I thought the same thing, though I'm a much better person than that - I'm desperate.

I opened up my water skin and got the very little water I had left ready. Zuko gripped his dual sword's grip and before we hopped off of Jimbo, I dropped my hands after what I saw. "She's pregnant." I murmured. The husband, I presume, rubbed his wife's noticeable belly with a smile.

Zuko let go of the grip and continued. After a few more hours, I felt my mouth getting dry. I smacked my lips and reached for my water skin Zuko was holding. "I'm thirsty."

Zuko removed the water skin from his mouth and observed it. I knew he was debating if he should let me have the rest and once he made a choice, I mentally thanked him and drank the rest of it, which was very little.

"We have to stop soon... Zuko." I said slowly. I watch his head fall every few seconds - he's falling asleep.

I sighed and reached over him. I pulled Jimbo's reigns and he stopped, making Zuko jerk up.

I hopped off of Jimbo and I groaned as I felt my head spin. I waited for my eyes to adjust before I told Zuko to move over.

He shook his head, "You'll-"

"'Get you killed.' I know. The way you're going, we'll be dead in a few minutes. So, move over bird brain."

Finally, Zuko scooted back and I hopped back onto Jimbo. I grabbed Zuko's arms and wrapped them around my stomach then pulled Zuko's head down on my back. "Take a nap."

Jimbo kept on walking for the next half hour and honestly I don't understand why Zuko was so stubborn. We were just going straight the whole time!

I pulled on the reigns when I saw a village a few miles ahead. "Zuko, wake up."

I looked over my shoulder while Zuko groggily raised his head. "There's a village."

"Let me guide."

I nodded and once we changed sides, we continued on. When we reached the village, it was quiet - a little vacant. But, it was large.

As a woman passed by, I caught her attention. "Excuse me, where could we purchase some feed?"

"Just turn the corner and it's the third stand on your right." She answered. I thanked her and Zuko guided Jimbo the way she told us.

When we reached the stand, a few soldiers watched us from the corner of their eyes. Their glares sent me chills and I looked away from them.

Zuko and I hopped off of Jimbo and walked in front of the stand. "Could I get some water, a bag of feed, and something hot to eat?" Zuko asked the merchant. He opened his palm and revealed the small number of coins he had to pay.

"Not enough here for a hot meal. I can get ya two bags of feed." The merchant shrugged.

I nodded with a weary smile, "We'll take it." I handed him my water skin. While the merchant went back and gathered our feed and water, two young boys caught my attention with their giggles.

I watch in amusement as one of them throws an egg at one of the soldier's head. I quickly bring my own forward when the two boys run off.

After a few seconds, I was startled by one of the soldiers. "Hey! You throwin' eggs at us stranger?"

With his back to the soldier, Zuko replied with a "No."

"You see who did throw it?"

This time, Zuko faced him. "No."

"That your favorite word? 'No?'" A soldier 'joked.'

"Egg had to come from somewhere." The leader said. "Maybe a chicken flew over." Zuko joked dryly. A soldier laughed, but was soon cut off by their leader. He pointed to me, "You're awfully quiet."

"I have nothing to say." I responded. "Nothing to say, huh?" He turned his head and spit to ground next to me. I faced him in disgust, "At least not to you."

I turned back to them and before Zuko could pick up the feeder, the lead soldier did instead. "Thanks for your contribution. The army appreciates your support." While his minions walked away, he looked over to us unpleasantly. "You better leave town. Penalty for stayings a lot steeper than you can afford stranger. Trust me." He exaggerated his threat by tapping his medal hammer that hung from his belt.

"Those soldiers are supposed to protect us from the Fire Nation, but they're just a bunch of thugs." The merchant said. I took my water skin from the merchant with a 'thank you.'

When Zuko and I were about to hop onto Jimbo, one of the young boys just from moments earlier peeked his up from the other side. "Thanks for not ratting me out."

Zuko ignored him by hopping on. He helped me up and I looked down at the young boy. "You're welcome."

When Jimbo started to walk, he ran in front of him and grabbed his reign. "I'll take you to my house and feed your ostrich horse for you! C'mon, I owe you!" The youngster started to run the way I'm guessing toward his home. "Thank you." I said before I rested my head on Zuko's back and closed my eyes for a second.

Side note: I woke up like at 4 & I couldn't go back to sleep. Now it's 8:30 and I'm updating. Thank's for reading! Happy Holidays!