29

Ruka (2)

The Dai Li agent had told us that a man named Long Feng was keeping Appa in a secret underwater headquarters in Lake Laogai.

It took us the whole night to get to the lake. I was exhausted, but we had to finish the mission, so I made sure not to slow either of us down.

"The agents have to get down there somehow." Zuko said. I looked around the water and from some feet away, I could slightly see a path floating on top of the water.

I pointed to the path and said, "there."

We ran over to it and it was a narrow path made from rock. We ran to the end of the path and Zuko pushed over the circle shaped rock that was blocking our way down. When he did so, we looked down. It was incredibly dark, the only light came from the outside and it wasn't much due to the small hole.

Zuko had me go down the ladder first then he followed after, moving the rock back to its spot.

When we reached the bottom, I turned to Zuko. "He said to go down these steps until we reach the tunnels. Keep going straight down and the first door on our right is where Appa is chained up." I reminded him.

The tunnels were dark and muggy. It smelled of lake water, almost like a sewer. The only light came from crystals from the walls.

It felt like we were running forever.

As we were halfway there, we could hear several women talking in unison in a creepy way. We tiptoed past the room they were in, and as we did, I peeked through the crack of the door and watched in shock. Various women with their eyes wide and their pupils dilated repeated every word a Dai Li agent said to them.

When we were far enough away from the room, I turned to Zuko. "They're brainwashing those women. This place is disgusting."

"Ba Sing Se isn't what people say it is... or what it used to be." Zuko responded as we turned the corner. When we reached the door, my stomach churned.

"Ready?" Zuko asked.

I nodded.

As he slid open the cement door, I could hear Appa. When we were completely in sight, Appa was up on his feet and alert.

"Expecting someone else?" Zuko asked as we walked in. I closed the cement door behind me.

When I heard Zuko take us out his dual swords from their sheath, I turned around quickly. Of course feeling threatened, Appa began to growl at Zuko.

I ran over to his side. "Stop. You're scaring him."

I looked up Appa before slowly reaching my hand out at him. He gritted his teeth and stomped his feet. "Appa, it's okay. It's me Ruka." I pulled my scarf down and sent him a reassuring smile. "See? Do you recognize me, buddy?"

When Appa had come to the realization of who I was, he started to calm down. When he seemed more relaxed, I reached my hand back out and slowly walked over to him.

When Appa softly pushed his nose on my palm, I smiled sadly. When I looked around him, my eyes started to water. His feet were chained to the floor. I can't imagine what he's been through.

While I hugged him, I stroked his fur. "I'm so sorry you're going through this. But we're going to get you out."

"I'm going to get you back to Aang." I whispered.