Chapter 18: Lost

It's been a few hours since your little confession scheme went on, and you're completely lost as you lay on the edge of your bed, limbs hanging off from the side.

HOW IN THE WORLD WILL I MAKE THIS WORK?

Is what's on your mind right now.

"Okay chill (Name), chill— I CAN't CHILL."

You panicked.

"I'm so unchill that thinking of chilling makes me not chill and—"

A knock interrupted your useless rambling, you fell from the bed since you were startled. A loud thud was heard inside.

The door opened and you glared at the trespasser. NO ONE DARES TO STEP IN YOUR ROOM WITHOUT PERMISSION.

"L! Get out!" You growled out, standing hastily as you dusted yourself and recovered from the sudden fall.

"I brought cake." L countered the wild animal in front of him.

L used food! It is very effective!

You immediately ran to him and stole one plate of cake off his hand.

"Okay, what do you want?" You asked, securing the cake in your arms as you sat down your bed and began admiring the cake.

"I would like to enter. Is that alright?"

"Seeing as you already opened my goddamn door without permission, fine."

L said nothing as he closed the door and sat on a chair beside your bed, and by sat, I mean L style sitting.

"Doesn't that hurt your legs or whatever?" You asked, eyeing his sitting position.

L ignored your question and stared at you wordlessly, you were beginning to restrain yourself from kicking him in the face, which I might add, he will probably block skillfully.

"Alright, what in the world of bunnies and unicorns are you staring—"

"You're quite pleasant to look at." He cut you off as he nonchalantly ate a piece of his cake.

"Wh-what?" You asked, startled. He didn't reply, and it was starting to weird you out.

"(Name), do you remember back then when you taught me what a hug is?." L asked out of the blue.

You rolled your eyes at the memory and replied, "Yeah, you have me some textbook definition of it but you failed miserably to execute it. It's either you were choking me or restraining me."

"Hug me."

Your head snapped to his direction, his eyes were focused on the cake he was eating, as you stuttered out a reply.

"W-what?! D-did I hear you right?!?"

"Yes." L said. "Do I have to explain my reasons to you?"

"Well DUH!" You retorted, still a bit shocked.

"The Kira Case has been... throwing me off lately. I need solace, or at least, some form of distraction as a temporary means to soothe me from the case." He explained as if it was some cure to a common cold or a flu.

You frowned a bit, seeing as he didn't truly know what comfort is, and merely sees a form of solace or comfort as something like a cure to a colds or some fever.

You stood up and pulled him to a hug, a tight, yet weirdly comforting hug. His arms awkwardly hanging off his sides.

Sometimes you wondered what was on L's mind. The things he wonders about. Does he wonder what food he's going to eat next? The things he's gonna go the next day?

Is he really what some people perceive him as? A machine programmed to solve cases and find clues, a mere creature that was molded into something that doesn't crave for human affection?

Then you remember, the days back in Wammy's house where he would still smile a bit, the rare occasions wherein he smiles at you, or ruffles your hair in a way to show affection, or when he first tastes your food to make sure it's not poisoned and you taste his to make sure it's sweet enough.

L is human. No matter how hard people try to mold him into the exact puppet they wanted, no matter how much they strive to make him a machine without the craving for love or affection, he is still human. Even if he tries to push it away and forget it, he can't escape human nature.

And when you think about it harder, he becomes more human in your eyes, breaking the once complex machine that you somehow unconsciously perceived him as.

You felt your heart race, beating loudly in your chest as his arms slowly wrapped around you, still in an awkward manner sure, but it was better than nothing. You buried your face in the crook of his neck, his scent of strawberries and vanilla reaching you.

You didn't know why, but you felt like he also needed saving. Just like Light that has fallen into the arms of Kira. You wanted to save L, to help him with his troubles. Wordlessly, you hugged him tighter, heart racing as you felt his arms around you tighten slightly.

"...Thank you." L softly muttered.