Chapter Eighteen

"Oh, no I--" I cut my own words off as I shot Cooper a baffled look. I don't ever know what to say upon first meeting. Let's see... What did I say when Cooper and I first met? Ah, that's right.. I allowed Cooper to do all the talking. I nodded my head towards him and shyly threw my gaze to the ground. That's when Cooper stepped in and cleared his throat.

        "Dad, this is Stormie Hudson. He goes to my school and we're... dating." Cooper finished his sentence weakly, as if he knew he'd get in trouble for something as trivial as dating another person. His father looked on in shock towards us, teal eyes quickly shrouding in disappointment. He looked down to me and scowled for a split second before grinning cheerfully. I felt a sharp sting in my chest from the look he invisibly shot me.

         "What happened to your last bang-buddy? She was pretty, you know. She was a rare fish in the sea, you should've kept her." he told his son, his tone now rough and hiding an underlying tinge of anger. I stepped backwards warily, bringing my crutches with me as I did so. Cooper seemed to notice my movement and looked back to me, ignoring his scolding father. "The girl even helped with dinner too. Unlike this one who can't even walk in a straight line," he hissed, his beard puffing like a wild animal's fur would.

        "Hey! I know you two aren't on the best of terms but I need you boys to quit yapping at each other like five year olds. We have a guest, for goodness sake!" Perry lectured, smacking Cooper's father on the nose as if he were a dog. She stood valiantly and took wide strides in her steps. I turned my head to Cooper and watched as his eyes traced mine. He inclined forward and gently pulled me closer to him. I rested my head against his shoulder and sighed softly into his skin. Just from his touch, I relaxed.

        His father heaved a deep breath, his broad shoulders slumping. "Fine. Whatever, Cooper.. Don't mind my outburst, just be who you are." I knew fully well that he was lamenting Cooper's love choice, which made me feel a little bad for Cooper. Being gay should be excepted in all places, but knowing someone who's against it hurts that opinion.

That's when I heard heavy footsteps approach us and I ripped from Cooper's gentle hold. Shooting his father a cautious look, I squeezed my hands tighter around my crutches.

He towered above me, his chest bulking outwards in an intimidating way. I shrunk under his menacing gaze and resisted the urge to whimper in fear. The fire in his eyes roared to life as they glared upon me.

      "If you ever betray my son or hurt him in any way, I will release all Hell on you." he growled, raising a sharp eyebrow. I nodded frantically in response and he seemed to notice my fear. I felt an arm loop around mine and pull. Both his father and I looked to Cooper, who held a stern look on his face as he returned his father's keen gaze.

      "He won't. I'm sure of it."

_

       His father was there for a good hour, speaking to his family an catching up on things they've missed. Seeing Cooper, Percy, Perry and his dad (who I still don't know the name of) chatting calmly with warm smiles on each of their faces made me feel a little out of place.

We all lounged in the living room, Perry, his dad and Percy sat on the coffee brown sofa as I sat on a single-person recliner cater-cornered from them. Cooper sat on the floor, leaning up against a small glass coffee table in front of the filled sofa.

      "Yeah.. Coop here went to a party one night and brought Stormie home. Apparently, as I remember correctly, the story was that one of Coop's friends tried to molest little Stormie. Soon Coop beat him up and took him back here so he was safe." Perry explained, her smile only widening by the second.

I think she knew how Cooper's father must've felt after hearing that... Guilt-tripping seems to be her specialty with this man. "he passed out from a panic attack during the fight." she added, leering at Cooper's father who had now shot his wide-eyed gaze over to me. Trying to avoid the memory, I simply ignored the chatter around me.

       "Oh, no.." he mumbled, placing a large meaty hand over his mouth and nose. Huh... I just realized that his hands are so enormous! They cover at least half of his own face! His wide eyes shimmered with culpability and softened with some sort of pity. "Son, you must've been so scared..." he muttered under his hand. I nodded and pivoted my head sideways as to eschew the family in front of me. Knowing fully well that my mom no longer wants to be with us, I had to refrain from leaving the room.

      I had the urge to get up and walk straight out the door. But of course, it'll be of no use because of my broken ankle. I let out an inaudible sigh as the family began to chat once again. Though I could hear them, I could feel one last pair of eyes lingering on me.

They burned my whole body to a flustered crisp like a spotlight that was hovering over my figure. I heard his dad's voice, rough and deep as he spoke almost monotone. I could also take in the sound of Perry's voice, speaking in bouncy syllables and her signature southern accent. Lastly, I heard Percy's laugh along with the silly remarks the three made with each other.

     I didn't hear Cooper's voice.

     I only lifted my head when I heard the shift movements of feet across carpet. I saw Cooper standing in front of me, his shadow only faintly casting over myself. His black-socked feet, wrinkled sweatpants and frazzled hair made him look like he was ready to go to bed as soon as possible. His eyes were hazy as if he'd just woken up from a long nap. He lazily curled his fingers and stretched, spreading his arms outwards like an eagle's set of wings. I smiled softly at the gesture, noting at how tired and sluggish he seemed. It was almost midnight by now; no wonder he's exhausted.

     "Yeah... Sorry for the inconvenience. My dad isn't... I don't know. There's nothing much interesting to say about him, really." he yawned, leaning over and placing a webbed-out hand on my thigh. He buried his pink lips into my hair, to which I hummed every time he blew into my scalp. I raised a hand to scratch the side of my neck, which was becoming a habit of mine when I feel nervous.

     "You sound like a hotel worker.. Stop being so formal with me. It doesn't sound like you." I informed him with a snicker.

      "Yeah, okay," he began sarcastically. "I'm gonna' go to bed. You can sleep on the couch, make a bed on the floor or join me if you'd like." he muttered with a finish, leaving a somnolent yet warm kiss to my temple.

I only grinned like a child at the action, but the other's surrounding weren't grinning at all. I knew they were staring, since the room had gone completely silent after the last word fell from Cooper's mouth. He turned around and staggered towards the staircase, rubbing his belly with one hand as he walked past the sofa of dead silent relatives.

     "You're not going to sleep with him." his father whispered with a deadly wrath in his voice.

**