Chapter thirty-one: My pride

Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty, and persistence~ Colin Powell

.......

The sun shone through the glass window, creating an unneeded glare on the white board. Frustration took over me as I shifted on my seat to try to rid of the nuisance, but apparently, school hates me as much as I hate it.

"Ms Evans, is everything alright? If you need to use the bathroom so badly, you could ask."

Heat rushed to my face as the class came alive with giggles and laughter, and I was thankful that I could not physically blush. Rolling my eyes, I lifted a single eyebrow, a menacing smile creeping onto my face.

"Ms, what gave you the impression that I needed to go to the bathroom?"

My voice came out sharp and clear, sarcasm lightly dripped into my tone. A quick and hard pain shot through my side as Ryder elbowed me, sending a warning look my way, one that says, 'you better stop, or your dad is going to kill you if you get into trouble because you promised him you were going to behave and control your anger.' I know what you may be thinking. You got all that from an expression? What can I say, I am just special like that.

I sighed in defeat whilst dropping my shoulders. Mumbling a sorry, I continued on the lesson without leashing out on Ms she devil.

Through countless of secretive death glares directed to the idiot standing at the front of the classroom, paper balls flying around and elbows burying into my side, the period came to end quite soon. Pasting a big smile on my face, I wasted no time in packing my belongings and speed walking out the classroom.

My eyes grew wide in joy as I saw them, the two doors that lead me to my freedom. Two steps. Two steps and I am free. As I went to take the second last step, my bag dragged me back and I had to make a sharp turn into a corridor.

"Not so fast, Hayley," a deep voice said. My response to this was immature, and some might say unnecessary. I stomped my feet, swinging my arms around. A loud and exaggerated whine, or groan, left my mouth, my head hanging low.

"So close, I was so close to the exit," I whispered, a frown on my face.

Rolling his eyes, West let go of my bag, a small chuckle leaving his lips. "Okay, now we both know that was too much. But anyway, I need to talk to you, which is why I ruined your afternoon."

"RUINED? You crushed it. I was so close to escaping this hell hole!" I yelled.

"Hayley, its the afternoon, you're leaving either way. Now please quit your tantrum and listen. You have to stop. We both heard what your father said. One more detention or phone call home and you're going to be suspended of your title and roll as gang leader. So, stop."

His tone left no room for an argument, his arms crossed over his chest to seem intimidating. Though this was a serious talk and West seemed far from playful, I couldn't help the goofy smile that spread across my face. The smile soon turned into a full fit of laughter, my shoulders vibrating.

West's face morphed into a state of utter confusion, making me laugh even harder than I already am.

"Hayley, I am serious. You're one of the best gang leaders and I don't want to see you being stripped from that title. Especially if it's for something as stupid as school." West walked out the double doors, the door slamming shut after him.

A couple minutes after he left me in the silence, I exited the doors, the setting sun shining in my eyes. The school car park was empty, only a single car at the furthest part. Realising that my only sort of transport, Ethan's truck, had abandoned me, I let out an aggravated groan. Now what am I supposed to do?