Chapter seventeen: Questions! Part two

People say that trusting is healthy, that you must take a risk in order to unlock all the secrets of this world.
I am going to live this saying by taking a risk and finally trusting someone other than my family, someone I know nothing about.

Ryder is staring at me with an expression I can't see nor read because I am concentrating on the road that I am currently driving on. From the far distance I can see the already heavy traffic that I will soon be joining. With that thought in my mind, I let out a tired and long sigh, blinking tightly for a second. In the corner of my eye, I can still see Ryder's bright brown eyes studying me, which is making me aggravated. In a fast motion, I quickly take a glance at Ryder before focusing on the road again, thankfully making Ryder look away from me.

"Where are we going?" I cannot count the amount of times Ryder has repeated that same question for the past fifteen minutes.
"For the millionth time that I have answered that question, you will see. Now be a good doofus and be patient, please." I hear him huff and find myself smirking.
After another ten minutes of driving and being stuck in nonstop traffic, I park in front of a familiar rundown building. I make a move to get out of the car and once I do, I realise that Ryder is glued to his spot. I roll my eyes and walk to the other side of the car. I open the car door roughly before yanking Ryder out of it causing him to stumble and smash his bottom onto the floor.

I begin to hysterically laugh, finding it difficult to breathe, whereas Ryder stands up and rubs his butt with a scowl on his face. This just makes me laugh harder and I find myself doubling over, smacking my lap in the process. After sobering myself up, I walk up the stairs that leads to the door of the orphanage.
"Hurry up doofus, I thought you wanted to learn something about me," I call out to a confused looking Ryder. He shakes his head before running up the stairs. I knock on the beaten down door and after a minute, Mary opens it with a wide smile on her face. She gets a hold of me and squeezes the living daylights out of me.

"My dear Hayley, how are you?" She says in a kind voice.
"I'm doing fine," I answer truthfully. Her smile is replaced with a stern look once she heard that answer. Crap!
"If you're fine, why haven't you visited me sooner and more often. You know that I love you like you are my own granddaughter, meaning that I love your presence." She may seem like the most sweetest old lady you have ever crossed, but you don't understand how wrong you are. She glares at me before noticing the person standing behind me.

She pushes me out of the way and studies Ryder. Rude. I had to hold back a laugh at Ryder's flustered and frightened expression.
"And who might you be?" She places her hands on her hip making her look more intimidating, even with her short height.
Ryder puts out his hand before answering her question, "I'm Ryder, madam."
Both me and Mary laugh at him and his cheeks turn a shade pink. Mary pinches his cheeks before hugging him. The way Ryder pats her back makes me chuckle.
"What are we still doing outside, come in, come in."

As I step inside the lounge room I am attacked by excited children. The twelve girls greet me and drag me to watch a movie. They only stop when they see Ryder at the door. The girls forget my existence before making their ways towards Ryder. They circle him making him look uncomfortable. Hayley pulls at his hand making him face her.
"Are you Hayley's boyfriend?" I started choking on air and Ryder looks like he wishes he was anywhere but here. We both shake our heads violently.
"No little girl, me and Hayley are just friends," he quickly rushes out with a defensive voice.

"Oh thats sad. You and Hayley would make a good couple," Vanessa suggests with a smirk. I stare at the fourteen year old with an astonished look.
"Vanessa be quiet," I say. "Girls I would like you to meet Ryder. Ryder, meet the girls." Both crowds waved at each other.
"Girls, introduce yourselves. Name and age," I instruct.