Chapter 14

Marley hugged him. The flutters had gone away the moment he hugged her back. He felt warm against her cool skin. He had the scent of sleep and cologne. She could tell he was surprised because it had taken him a minute to actually put his arms around her.

Klaus could smell gardens in her hair. His fingers could feel the line of her spine. She wasn't crying which was a step up considering what almost happened. He wasn't sure of how long it would last but he was sure he wasn't going to be the one to pull away.

"Are you okay?" He asked into her hair.

"Klaus do you..."

The front door swung open. Klaus thought his father had come back. Marley pulled away and Klaus looked to find his mother smiling.

"In my room? You couldn't go into yours Klaus?"

"Mum, it's not like that." He said shaking his head. Marley stood up and backed away from him. She looked at him and looked at his mother. Ellie wore a satisfied grin.

"I will go..." She said and left the room. Ellie looked at Klaus while he watched the girl leave. Klaus would've said something to her but he couldn't think of anything to say. So he left her room.

Marley was going down the stairs in a hurry. He followed after her because he had to know why she hugged him. Just before his mum had come in she was going to say something.

"Marley! Marley!" He caught up to her at the bottom step.

"Klaus stop shouting." She said turning abruptly. He stood behind her as she faced him. He stared at her foggy gray irises neither one of them chose to speak. Klaus leaned in and cupped her face in his hands. He gently planted his lips to hers. He thought she'd push him off or pull away but she did neither. She didn't respond to the kiss either.

He was kissing her and Marley had no idea what to do back. Should she stand there with her eyes open. Normally, people close their eyes she thought. His lips against hers felt right. She had never been kissed and was not sure how to return the favor.

When he pulled away, he started to apologize. Marley didn't want him to apologize she wanted him to continue.

"I'm sorry Marley. I'm..."

"No. You don't need to."

"I don't want you to lose trust in me. I promise I won't do that again." He was rambling and his eyes were searching for something in the room. He couldn't seem to focus like how he was before.

Marley didn't know what to say to make him relax. She grabbed onto his sleeve.

"Please stop. Klaus, I-- I liked it."

He wanted to laugh because his insides were happy. She liked it. He couldn't believe he kissed her and she liked it. She didn't kiss him back though. He didn't know if doing it again would be smart. Instead he backed away from her scratching the back of his head.

"Uh...what were you going to ask me?"

She nipped at her lip looking at her feet, "I well, I was going to ask...if you liked me as in more than..." She left it up in the air. Her eyes glanced up to see his features relax into a smoldering grin. She began to feel the heat rush to her cheeks waiting on his answer.

"I like you Marley." She anticipated the but and winced before he continued. "A-wait what happened?" He asked concern laced in his voice.

She slowly raised her gaze to meet his. He raised a brow trying to be patient with her. She was moving like a snail and he couldn't wait.

"Marley, why did you flinch like that?"

"I didn't flinch." She retorted in a low whisper.

He nodded his head, "Yes you did." She shook her head not bothering to speak. "You looked like you were afraid to get hit. Or like you actually were hit."

She nibbled on her lip, "I was preparing for the rest."

His smile returned, "I like you Marley, a lot. I tried to keep from having these feelings but I can't help it." He was afraid to touch her. But he ignored it placing his hand on her waist. "I don't want to help it actually. I like you a lot."

Marley did what she was unfamiliar with and locked her hands around him.

****

Klaus sat with her as they ate ice cream not really speaking much. It was when he went off to his room that he was caught by surprise. He didn't even get to close his door before Marley was following him. She looked down at her feet as she built up some form of courage.

Klaus was growing anxious and impatient. So he asked, "What's the matter Marley?"

"Can you maybe stay in my room until I fall asleep?"

"In your room?"

"Yes but if that's....just....forget it."

She was beginning to open up and he did not want her think that she needed to retreat. It was Klaus that needed to correct his intentions. He wanted to go in her room and lie beside her. He wanted to lay against her cool skin and be her warmth. Except she just wanted for him to be her eye so she could feel safe to sleep.

"No." Klaus said. "Of course I can keep an eye open until you fall asleep."

She smiled her grey orbes focusing on him and he smiled as he lead her to her room. He held the door for her as she got comfortable in her bed. Klaus prepped a small place for himself on the floor. Marley curled up in the sheets her head resting on her hands. Klaus couldn't think of anything he'd rather be doing than to be lying beside her. She was clearly cold.

But instead he asked, "Do you want more quilts?"

"I don't think so." She said.

"Okay. Goodnight Marley."

"Goodnight Klaus."