Chapter 9

Marley walked Maura out to her car. "I will see you tomorrow right?"

Maura heard the hope in her voice, "No dear I have my vacation this week. I'm going to visit my son and his family in California it's only a few hours drive."

"Oh well have fun." Marley said. Though she really wanted Maura to stay. She felt stingy because that was Maura's family. Maura was excited to be getting the time off to see her son.

Marley added, "Tell me how it was when you come back."

She smiled, "I will dear. Good night." Marley watched her drive away and stood outside alone. She looked up at the darkness of the sky. There didn't appear to be any stars in the sky. She turned to go inside when she heard screaming.

Klaus was shouting, "Call an ambulance! Call an ambulance! Where is Marley?!" To that Marley ran up to her room. Klaus was knelt down beside her mother. She was searching for air. Klaus backed away and Marley threw herself at her mother. Marley was forcing Carrie Ann to sit up. Both Ellie and Klaus were pacing the room on their phones.

Ellie saying, "Yes she's not breathing..."

Klaus saying, "Bring the ambulance here!! The woman could be dying and you are wasting time asking me questions?!"

Marley was crying into her mothers chest, "Momma." She repeated it over and over trying to position her mother's head so she could get air.

Carrie Ann smiled at her daughter, "I love you." She coughed into her hand, "I will be alright..." She stared at her daughter and tried to wipe at the tears spilling from Marley's eyes. "You will be alright." Marley nodded, "We will be alright." Carrie Ann's ribcage felt a sudden ache and Marley stared her mother who wouldn't speak anymore. Tears spilled from her eyes. She couldn't believe her mother was dying in front of her.

Ellie tapped Marley's shoulder, "She isn't dead yet. She's still breathing don't give up hope."

****

Klaus heard the sirens and ran downstairs to let them in. The police came in first and he explained that she was having some pains. He didn't know what else to say other than she was crying calling for Marley. The men carried Carrie Ann away on a gurney. Ellie was walking a sobbing distraught girl down the stairs.

"Klaus take this girl to that hospital."

It was the most he heard his mum speak about something other than work. But it didn't last.

She explained, "I have to get my sleep for the play but Carrie will be in my prayers." He rolled his eyes and lead the girl out to the car. She didn't care that the boy was touching her she was too busy sobbing to care. He helped her into the passenger then hurried to his seat. He drove fast and tried to still obey the rules of the road.

"We should've stayed so she could see the doctor." She said. It was unclear at first but Klaus deciphered her words.

"You couldn't have known that was going to happen Marley."

She shouted, "I knew she wasn't well and I ignored it." Hearing that Klaus thought back to the time he found Carrie Ann crying. Had it been his fault too? He seen that she was upset but he left her to cry alone. That and he kept it from her daughter.

"She'll get through whatever it is."

Marley shook her head, "I don't want your optimism. I want the truth." She returned to her sobbing and balled herself in the passenger seat.

Klaus felt hopeless and stupid. He shouldn't have said that because he didn't know. He didn't know what was going to happen to Carrie Ann and from the looks of it he didn't know if she'd make it.

****

They entered the Emergency entrance searching for Carrie Ann on the stretcher. Klaus pointed out where Carrie Ann was and Marley started to take a step toward her. People were talking to her and there was something over her mouth. Marley and Carrie Ann locked tear stained eyes before Carrie Ann was behind a closed elevator door.

Klaus tried to lead her to sit in the waiting room. Marley didn't want to be touched by him anymore. She stood at the door of the emergency entrance staring through the glass. Klaus walked over to the waiting area and took a seat clamping his eyes shut.

It was quite the turn of events Klaus thought. He was going to play the piano with her tonight. She was going to get comfortable with him finally. She was losing her mother he shouldn't be worrying about the fact that she was back to square one. She was standing in the corner of the entrance her back to the people.

He tried to ignore her curvy frame and focus on her mirth. Her body was shaking and soft sobs were coming from her corner of the room.

Marley could see through the glass of the window that Klaus was looking at her. She hated that he was watching her like a creep. She hated that she left her mother upstairs alone. She hated that she didn't stay home and let the doctor check up on her. She hated that she hadn't heard anything from the doctor about her mother yet. She hated that her mother had the worst life. She hated that she was crying in the hospital. She hated that she was crying in the hospital while a boy was watching her. Next to Klaus a man and a woman came to him. One in light blue scrubs and the other in dark blue scrubs.

Klaus was talking to them and the doctor was shaking his head. Klaus pointed in Marley's direction and she felt her chest get tight.

She turned around to the light tap on her shoulder. The doctors were standing in front of her with solemn expressions. It was the doctor in the light blue scrubs that spoke first. Klaus came to Marley's side ready to catch her if she wanted to collapse.

"Carrie Ann had what we doctors call preeclampsia. Preeclampsia is a pregnancy complication. She was pregnant with a baby girl. Did you know that?"

Marley was crying again shaking her head no. The doctor continued, "Her blood pressure was fairly high and there was some damage done to her kidneys. If she had come sooner..."

The doctor in the dark blue scrubs spoke over the one in the light scrubs.

"Your mother and the baby have both passed. 1:42 am in surgery. We are incredibly sorry for your loss."

Marley heaved and Klaus grabbed her bringing her to his chest. She pushed him off but Klaus wouldn't budge. She just wanted him to leave her alone. He knew her for only three days he wasn't family. He wasn't the one to take her in his arms and try to hold her and make her feel better. He wasn't allowed to try and be there for her because he couldn't understand. He didn't lose her mother she did. She just wanted him to leave her alone. She pushed him off heaving and crying but Klaus only held on tighter.

Klaus started to feel choked up, he wanted to tell her she would be okay. But it wouldn't. He couldn't help but think that if his father had passed he would have behaved the same way. He wouldn't want any love or affection. He would want to be left alone. But she was all alone with nothing. She had her name and that was it. Klaus felt obliged to care for her.

She had lost both her mother and a sister she had no idea existed. She was in the midst of crying when she stopped fighting. She went still. She wouldn't do anything. The tears were falling but she wasn't making a sound. Klaus had seen his mother shut down and he didn't want to see this girl do the same. He walked her outside and lead her to his car. It was like walking a dead body. She wasn't making any effort. He helped her into the passenger and ran to the drivers seat.

She was leaning with her head against the leather of the seat. Her eyes focused outside the window. He didn't know what to say or to do. So Klaus started the car and headed back home.