Chapter 7

Klaus returned to work and Marley wished he hadn't. His playing was soothing and something she hadn't heard in far too long. Carrie Ann used to play when they actually had a home. It was when they lost it that Carrie Ann never returned to it. When Marley was a child she loved to hear her mother play.

Marley stood in the hall waiting for something to do. Maura had left them after serving dinner. The entire dinner Marley was annoyed because Miss Ellie rehearsed through the whole meal. Marley was also concerned when Klaus never came home. It was dinner time and he wasn't back to eat it. No one else seemed to care so she didn't mention his absence.

Carrie Ann sat in the bathroom while Marley bathed a warm bath that Maura drew her. She ran her wet hands through her hair.

"Momma did you hear the way he played?"

"Yes I did. He's very talented."

"I wish I could learn to play."

"Then you should ask him if he can teach you."

"Momma...I don't know he seems very busy. It's almost midnight and he still hasn't returned."

"I know." She stood from her seat on the toilet grabbing her belly in her hands. "Come on let's get to bed."

Marley washed up and changed into a silky black night gown that laced at the end. It had a robe that came with it which made her feel more covered up. The dress came to her knees and it was conservative like she liked.

She lie next to her mother holding onto her mother's arm. Her mother fell asleep quickly leaving Marley up, alone. She hadn't been able to sleep at night in a while. Since the nights she would lay in bed while her mother screamed in the room next door she couldn't find it in her to sleep. Now she didn't sleep and she'd eventually fall asleep unaware that she was even sleeping.

She couldn't lie in the bed doing nothing. She stood from her bed and went down to go to the kitchen. When she reached the bottom step the front door opened.

Klaus laughed into the phone, "Yes! I know...I'm getting inside. Whatever get off the bloody phone! Yes. Goodnight!"

Marley stood there and he looked up at her with a slight smile. He shoved the phone into his pocket. "Hello."

"Hello." She whispered.

"Am I being too loud?"

"Very." She said looking at him as if he had two heads. He chuckled to himself trying to keep his laugh low. She left him there and walked into the dining room. Klaus followed her into the kitchen. She went into the kitchen and returned with two bowls of ice cream.

He laughed, "Is this one for me?"

She nodded and sat at the dining table. He took a seat from the chair across from her. He stuck the spoon into the bowl and watched her as she ate hers.

"Can you teach me how to play." She asked him not looking up at him. His face relaxed into a smile. He thought over what to say.

"Yes I can teach you."

Her head shot up, "You will?"

"Yes. What time will we practice? At this time every night?" She was somewhat excited and she didn't know what to say. Klaus noticed and said, "I think we can do it at this time. We have a rooms that has piano in it. If we close the door no one will hear it." He looked up at her knowing he had to tread lightly, "If that's okay with you."

She nodded, then returned to eating her ice cream. It was bugging her that he had been out all night and no one else seemed to care. She didn't think it was her business but she was curious.

"I don't mean to pry." She said and looked up at the boy staring at her anxiously. "Where were you tonight?"

He laughed, "I was out with friends. We went for drinks."

"Were you drunk when you came in?"

"No. I didn't have enough drinks to be drunk." He didn't know why she was asking but he felt good being interrogated. No one had asked these kind of questions since he was young.

"Oh." Is all she said and he figured she was done talking with him. As he figured she stood leaving her bowl behind. She left the room and Klaus smiled.

"We meet down here every night."

She was at the bottom step. "Okay." She said before trudging up the stairs.

When Marley returned up stairs her mother was choking. She ran to her mother's side and sat her up. Her mother woke and patted her chest.

"I'm fine." She mumbled. Then lie back down on the bed. Marley didn't trust it and she wanted to have that doctor Klaus talked about come to her. She went into the hall again and hurried down the stairs. Klaus wasn't there. She went back up the stairs and into the west wing. She strolled over to room she found him in before. She walked in front of it going back and forth. She was conjuring up the nerve to knock on his door. She stood in front of the door prepared to knock when he opened his door in only pants.

"Marley? What are you doing?"

She averted her eyes by turning around. He chuckled and went back to put on a shirt. He came to her and tapped her shoulder.

"It's okay to look."

"I came." She stuttered. "I came to ask about your doctor. I need one for my mother. I think something is wrong."

He looked down the hall, "Is she alright? What's the matter?"

"No not now she's asleep but..."

"Okay." He nodded, "The doctor is here tomorrow. I'm sure we can get him to check her for you."

"Thank you." She said and turned away, "Sorry for waking you."

"No you didn't I wasn't asleep yet." He chuckled scratching the back of his head, "That's how I heard you. I actually thought you were someone else." He looked across the hall and back down at her. "Is there anything else?"

"No. Thank you." She nodded her head and walked back to her room.