Chapter 20

She left him. Klaus had been in that state of mind for almost a few months before he started to believe in her return. He felt like the air was tainted. Some days he felt like he was drowning and other days he felt the air was suffocating, he hated. So he had to, he to believe in her return.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

When he found his mum, after finding her lying with his dad he smiled. She stood from the bed as he slept and she went to her son and hugged him.

After they apologized to each other Klaus asked to excuse himself. He had to keep his word to Marley about the ice cream before she got tired. He called for her, searched for her through out the entire home. He went to her room only to see it empty and vacant. Then he knew, she left him. She had run away, she hadn't stayed.

That was when he trashed her room. Throwing everything at the walls that couldn't protect her. Then he fell to the floor, no tear just heavy heaves. He looked at his mess and felt the need to clean. Until his mother and Maura along side her walked into the room.

Ellie looked at her son. Her hand covering her mouth as she felt the pain he felt by the way he had inflicted it out on the room. She kneeled beside him and felt the shake in his palms he was angry and he was hurt.

"She left......she--she lied to me."

Ellie shook her head hushing her son. Ellie knew the story didn't make sense. If Klaus told Marley not to she would have stayed. Marley cared for her son and everyone could see that. They cared for each other. She couldn't understand.

"Don't give up Klaus."

He shifted his head to face the wall already wallowing in defeat. Maura stared at the boy knowing what truly happened and didn't think Klaus would come to this. Women had left him numerous times and he always said he wasn't bothered by one. But this was his reaction to Marley. Maura felt a pang of guilt but she couldn't tell him yet.

Maura grabbed Ellie by the shoulders, "Give him a moment."

Marley sat in the back and watched the trees they passed. She wanted Klaus, nothing but Klaus. She wished they talked or held each other's hand a little longer.

Gregory could sense her mood. She was stuck in the place they were leaving behind because of Klaus. He pitied her, because he was all she really was shown to. She hadn't lived her life to have experienced heartache and heart break. So this was her first, at least with the opposite sex.

"When we return to my home, I want you to care for my children. Also you need to find work if you want to keep your money good. And if you are to return to him you're going to need money."

"Don't you have a wife to tend to your children?"

"My wife passed years ago. So no. That is why you are allowed to stay with me. You are going to be my nanny. I have three children. Mildred, Annie, and Theo. I want you to care for them. That will be your part in rent."

As he rambled on, Marley began to think of the day she will return and the day she will see Klaus again.

••••••••••••1 YEAR LATER••••••••••

Marley held onto Theo's hand. "Come Theo we have to clean your hands."

Gregory watched her with a smile on his face. She had gotten so accustomed to their living arrangements and was taking very good care of his children. She worked hard in the evening and even harder in the day while she was with the children.