Chapter 13

This daily schedule continued routinely. Klaus would make Marley toast in the morning. He would take her to work with him. Each day their conversations progressed. Klaus one night stayed up with her until she fell asleep. It was her first real sleep in weeks.

He liked her, she was fun but overall she was still so shy. He liked how cute and shy she could be. Marley liked his company and she was finally able to laugh.

She sat in his room while Klaus was teaching the children for their upcoming show. Marley sat in the chairs cleaning their gold goblets.

Klaus was directing the children. "Take your lady partner by her waist. Then one, two, three, one, two, three." The children couldn't quite get his view or his orders. They were toppling over each other.

Klaus glanced over at Marley sitting on the chair cleaning the sets cups. She was completely engulfed in what she was doing. Klaus held up his finger to the children.

"One moment." He hopped down from the stage and held out his hand to Marley. "Can you help me for a moment?"

She put down her rag and took his hand. Then asked, "Help with what?" When she realized he was taking her to the stage.

He shouted, "Children! Do as I do." He brought his hand to Marley's waist then took them off. He brought her hands to his neck and lifted her chin slightly. Watching, the young boys did the same to their lady partners. He then brought his hands back down to her waist.

"Copy me okay!" He shouted. "One, two, three. One, two, three." He danced with Marley pretending to focus on his teaching. He held onto her and smiled at her while she blushed. She looked down at her feet and he lifted her chin.

"Just follow my lead." She was holding onto his shoulders and he was leading her. "Remarkable dancer Marley."

"Are you making fun of me? I feel ridiculous I don't even know where to put my foot."

He laughed, "But you haven't stepped on my foot yet."

"Don't speak so soon." She said looking at her feet again. Klaus lifted her chin and stared at her. "Uh is that all?" Marley asked. His stare had become unsettling. She could feel the flurrying in her belly again. Klaus let go of her hand and let her leave the stage.

Marley had been feeling the flutters in her stomach whenever Klaus stared at her. She didn't like the feeling and refused to ask him about them. It was a uncomfortable feeling. She couldn't help but think that it was something that would lead her to a peaceful end.

She sat back down as Klaus snapped his hands to get the children's attention.

"You all did amazing! Now I'm going to play a few keys. While I play you dance." The children nodded grabbing onto their partners the way Klaus held Marley. She took one more glance at Klaus and returned her gaze to her work.

****

Marley was leaving with Klaus to his car. Tomorrow Maura would return and she wasn't sure if she could look at Miss Maura. Miss Maura was the kind of woman to look at you with sympathetic eyes. She did it all the time the very first day she had moved in.

Klaus interrupted Marley's thoughts, "It's going to rain soon. What do you suppose we do?"

Everyday after work Klaus would take Marley to her mother's grave. The first day she cried seeing it. The next time she only shed tears. She wasn't heaving like the first time.

"I think it's okay to see her for a quick minute. If that's okay."

"Yes it's okay." He parked in front of the cemetery. She left him in the car and walked over to her mother's grave.