Chapter 8

Klaus woke to the sound of Maura's laughter. Carrie Ann's voice had become clear too. He didn't hear Marley. Klaus climbed from bed rubbing his eyes searching for his shirt. He went into the bathroom to shower when he heard Marley's raspy voice.

"I think it would be nice to do that."

He went into the shower after hearing her voice. She spoke as if her voice was always horse and to him it was attractive. Yesterday, she had spoken to him more. It was the most he'd ever heard speak in the home. He felt like she was getting slightly more comfortable.

He came from the shower and put on his blue dress shirt and his jeans. He left his dark hair wet and in curls on his head. Then hurried down to find the women of the home sitting in the dining room enjoying tea and talking.

"Good morning." He said.

"Good morning." They all said in return. Except Marley she gave a nod which he did to her in return.

Maura stood, "Your mum, left and told us to tell you to pick up donuts for the coffee room. That she loved you and would see you there."

Klaus nodded. Of course she did. He wasn't in the mood to work. After hearing the woman making plans he wanted to know what it was.

"Well do you all have plans?"

Carrie Ann nodded, "We will go out to find work. Then go for a picnic in the park. Would you want to join us?"

Marley wanted to help her mum but if they left they would miss the doctor's visit. Klaus couldn't help but think.

"I wish, but I have rehearsal to get to." Both Carrie Ann and Maura let out a sympathetic aww. Klaus rolled up the sleeves on his shirt. "Marley can I speak to you?"

Marley's head shot up in surprise. She stood and walked over to him. He pointed to the door of the dining room she went that way and he followed. Carrie Ann and Maura sat on the sofa confused and concerned.

Klaus whispered, "Marley if you all leave before noon you will miss the doctor's visit."

She let out a strained sigh, "We are leaving after you leave."

"Well you'll miss the doctor. He comes again at the end of the week. He can check on your mum then."

"Okay." She said looking down at her feet. Her hair was down and in curls. She was in pants and a dress like shirt. It was tight at her breast and Klaus fraught with in himself to keep his eyes on hers. But it was hard to when she wouldn't look at him.

He opened the door of the dining room and called for Maura. She went through the dining room and into the kitchen to cook Klaus his breakfast.

****

Carrie Ann was concerned when Klaus asked for her daughter. She hardly spoke to the boy for him to want to speak to her. Marley did as asked and she worried her daughter was being taken advantage of when she wasn't looking. Carrie Ann knew all she seemed to do was eat, sleep, cry, and feel pains in her chest and her ribs.

It was bothering that everything she did left her with shortness in breath. She knew why but she didn't remember experiencing these things before.

Marley smiled back at her mother while she was on the swing talking to a young girl. The little girl was very fond of Marley and her long hair.

Maura spoke up, "She's in good hands."

"Excuse me?" Carrie Ann asked.

"You don't have to worry. Klaus isn't the kind of boy to take advantage of girls. He spoils them." Maura explained. Carrie Ann was concerned but she didn't know Maura could tell.