Chapter 20

Lelo

"I can't help but to bless the day that I met you Dannybear, you're truly an amazing human being. Thank you so much for coming through for me, like always. That dinner would've been disastrous had you not stepped up and taken over."

I say as we take our seats at our favourite restaurant, which is called Marcello's. The nearly disastrous dinner was last week and I still have a small panic attack each time I think about it.

"So how did you two meet?"

I literally stopped breathing at that moment, stupid me didn't even consider that my mom would ask that. Obviously if my daughter introduced me to a new "friend" I'd want to know all I could about their friendship.

You could've heard a pin drop at the silence that followed... Alex placed his hand on top of my thigh and squeezed it in reassurance but I was full on panic mode.

What the hell do I say now? "Oh it's such a funny story mom, we met in a club and had amazing sex that same night?" She'd kill me.

"Uhmm." Xander looks at me sideways and begins massaging my thigh.

I didn't trust him not to tell her the complete truth about our history. Seeing that we have so many cultural differences and from his description of his parents, I imagine that they wouldn't have much of a problem with how we met, unlike my mom.

"We-" Xander starts to explain before Danny cuts him off.

"We all met at a work function a few months ago mommy, Lelz was my plus one and Alex was one of the speakers there. All three of us were seated at the same table and we instantly clicked. It was as simple as that."

Danny said so smoothly, I began wondering just how my best friend became such a great liar.

"Do you two still take her as your date everywhere Dan?" she said laughing lightly. "These two have always been inseparable, when they were growing up they used to get into so much trouble because they were so naughty. Don't get me started on the many pranks they pulled on each other as well as everyone around them"

The discussion luckily changed to Danny and I's shenanigans while growing up, much to everyone's laughter. The mood became lighter as everyone else seated around the table shared tales of what they got up to while growing up.

I ended up learning some new and interesting things about the man I've just started dating... Such as that he broke his arm when he was six years old from jumping out of a tree house just because an older cousin of his had convinced him that he had superpowers or the time he stole his father's car when he was thirteen just because he wanted to prove that he was a man and subsequently crashed it.

There was thankfully no other topics that had the power to make me nearly have a heart attack, the mood remained light and filled with laughter throughout the night.

Dessert was an assortment of three dishes, a melktert, koeksisters and of course Danny's favourite; vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup on top.

I honestly don't know how mom and Danny got the time to cook all those dishes but I made a decision to take them out for lunch as a thank you gesture even though they gave me sole clean up duties.

"I miss mom so much D. It really felt nice to have someone to come home to, you know? When she was here, I always knew when leaving work
that I had a warm meal waiting for me. We'd talk well into the night, just like old times or we'd reminisce about the past. It felt like I was back home again and Lord knows that I needed that." I say as a waiter comes to our table and we place our orders.