Chapter 13.

"Nora, do you want a hand with the drinks and the tray?" Nalini asked, worried as she eyed the many things that Nora was balancing. The latter looked up at her, a reassuring smile on her face.

"Don't worry about me. I can very well handle this," she said, confidently. Nalini nodded but her eyebrows furrowed as she wondered.

"Why do you have so much stuff with you anyway? Is there something special happening?"

"The Duke is expecting someone to come over; it was unexpected as their arrival was only announced this morning."

"Oh, I see," Nalini whispered, curious about who was coming.

She watched as Nora raced out the front door but couldn't help but worry about the guest.

She was worried about being seen.

Of course, comments would pass about her being a different race to most of the other people here.

She turned around and went to fetch Richard for his daily readings when she bumped right into someone.

"My goodness!" a familiar, soothing voice exclaimed.

Nalini opened her mouth to apologise but as she looked up, her eyes widened.

"C-Chastity?!"

"Oh, my—Nalini?"

Nalini was surprised the woman remembered her name when they had only met once ages ago.

She was relieved to a see familiar face in such an unfamiliar place. After all, it was because of her that she was still in one piece.

So to say that she was more than happy to see her face was an understatement. She had guessed right then that the Duke's guest was Chastity.

The latter stood in front of her, her baby blue eyes widened in pure shock.

Without wasting another second, she came forward and engulfed her in a hug that Nalini happily returned.

"I've been wanting to thank you if I ever saw you again! Honestly I didn't think you'd remember me after all these weeks."

"No, no, do not be silly!" she said, dismissing her with a wave of her hand. Chastity then shook her head, incredulously. "But still, I cannot believe it is you are here. What a small world!"

Nalini's smile faded and she sighed, nodding. She had so much to tell her, but she didn't know where to begin.

"How did you end up here, Nalini?"

She went to open her mouth when a booming voice from behind her, interrupted.

"You two have been well-acquainted I see."

Nalini turned around to see the Duke approaching them, his vacant eyes staring right at her as if she was going to do something illegal.

He gestured for Nora to put the tray and drinks in his study. She glanced at Nalini before looking at Chastity who narrowed her eyes.

Nalini's eyebrows furrowed. She could feel some tension in the air as Nora scampered away.

She tore her eyes away and looked at Chastity whose expression had suddenly changed. She was no shooting the Duke a dazzling smile.

"Oh, yes, we had met by chance weeks ago, you see."

Nalini's eyes widened and her heart thumped against her chest wildly - she hoped Chastity didn't tell him exactly how they met.

He'd only ask more questions and become suspicious or something, and that was the last thing she needed.

Until she found a way to get back, she needed to remain on the down-low.