20

Chapter Twenty

                “I’m sorry we didn’t get to have dinner.”

                I set my hand on Brady’s door handle, still fuming, wishing Harry would just stop talking and let me disappear inside the safety of my brother’s condo.  “It’s fine.”

                His brow furrowed.  “No, it isn’t.  I’m also sorry about being chased by fans.”

                “Really, it’s – “

                “And for being trapped in PacSun for an hour.”

                “Honestly, Harry, I – “

                “And also for your shoes.”

                An image of the scuff marks all over my white flats from basically running through the mall popped into my head, and I grimaced.  He nodded faintly at my expression as if understanding, which he really didn’t.  But before he could continue apologizing for all the awful things that happened today because of him, I decided the best way to get rid of him would be to ease his guilt.

                I raised a hand so that he wouldn’t speak.  “Apart from all of those things, I had fun today.  So don’t worry about it.  Just,” I sighed, “go back to your hotel suite and take a nap or something.  I know that’s what I’m doing.”

                “Well, it’s quite late, so I’ll probably just call it a night, actually.”

                I nodded.  “You’re absolutely right, so I will do that as well.  Goodbye, Harry.”

                He held his hand out to me, then.  I stared at it a moment, unsure, before finally just taking it.  “Goodnight, Lexie,” he said.  “Sleep well.”

                As he began to back away, I pointed at him.  “Dream big.”

                He grinned widely for a moment, realizing I’d quoted him, and then waved once before turning and heading down the hall towards the elevator.  He tucked his hands into his pockets and tipped his head towards the floor, his pace quickening, it seemed.  His hair was a bit more distraught than usual from the running, but you could only tell from the front; in the back it looked fine.

                You’re watching him go, Lexie.

                A smile must’ve been on my face still from our goodbyes, because it immediately wiped off as I pushed through the door, shaking my head clear.  I sincerely needed rest.

                “This is so stupid, I don’t even understand why you dragged me all the way here just to ask me to lunch – something you could have easily done via phone call or text message.”

                I was gathering the few belongings I’d brought with me: my cell phone, wallet, light jacket.  While I carefully maneuvered my way between and around the boys’ legs, Harry jumped to his feet.  “I thought girls didn’t like being asked out via those things!”

                “It’d be different if we were actually together, Harry, but we’re not!”  And then I was storming out of the sitting room or living room or whatever you call it of his hotel suite, aiming towards the door.