13

Chapter Thirteen

                Due to an overwhelming headache and overall lack of awareness, Brady agreed that I could spend my day doing absolutely nothing.  He left me with a copy of his new single that the world is anticipating the release of – not the song that happens to be the reason my parents and I are here in the first place – and promised to come back for lunch.  I bid him farewell with a simple wave of my fingers.

                I was truthfully disappointed in my brother.  I’d considered us close enough that he would have sided with me yesterday, and he didn’t.  Maybe this life he’s living now has changed the boy I used to know, the one who’d do anything to fix my problems and make me happy.  Or maybe just that part of him has changed, and it was hidden away behind all the other things about him – my favorite things – that are still the same and that I’ve missed, only to show its true colors the moment I needed the exact opposite.

                He knew I was upset, and several times already this morning I had to listen to him assure me that he understands why I was against helping Harry, why I didn’t want to be a part of this, why I hate the idea of fame in any sense.  He apologized then, but continued on to say that it won’t be as bad as I think, the guys in the band are great, Harry’s great, their security team is great, and everything will be okay, don’t worry so much. 

                I was still in my clothes from yesterday, having slept in them, and I decided a shower and a loose, comfortable outfit would go nicely with an old movie and some kind of hot drink.  Hot chocolate sounded nice, but I’d settle for tea or even coffee, if I had to. 

                The shower felt good on the back of my skull, and when I finished, I wasted no time slipping into a pair of spandex and an oversized T-shirt.  I brushed my teeth, but otherwise didn’t so much as touch my face; I didn’t need makeup today.  I had a feeling I wouldn’t have many more of these days where I won’t have to worry about what I looked like, so I was going to take advantage of these precious hours.

                Brady had nothing when it came to hot drinks.  He was even out of coffee.  Realizing this, I wondered where my parents were, for the first time realizing they weren’t here.  Did they even come back last night?  I had fallen asleep slightly early, so if they did, it would have been after I was unconscious.  Where would they have gone this morning, though?

                A note on the counter answered my question.  They’d gone out sightseeing, apologizing for not waking me but Brady had said not to.  I made a mental note to give one of them a call to bring home coffee if they’d want it; Dad’s been drinking it steadily every morning, and I wouldn’t want to be around when he finds out he’s been cut off.

                I settled with a cup of milk after finding oreos in one of Brady’s cupboards.  And after rummaging through my brother’s shelf of movies, I realized he didn’t have any that I felt like watching, so I turned my attention to one of my mother’s suitcases to see if she had better taste.  When I happened across my favorite 80’s movie, I knew that she did.

                About an hour into When Harry Met Sally… and onto my second helping of oreos, my phone began playing its familiar jingle from inside my bedroom where I’d left it.  Sighing, I paused the movie and pushed myself off the couch to retrieve it. 

                My brother’s name was displayed across the screen.  I seriously debated on not answering it, but if it was important, that might be a bad idea.