Chapter Eleven

"Please, please, please!" I begged.

"I don't really see why I should," Aston argued.

"You have to! It's gonna be awesome!" I exclaimed.

He rolled his eyes, then smirked at me. "Yeah," he snorted. "Dressing up as Cosmo while Melissa dresses up as Wanda, and you as Timmy from the 'Fairly Odd Parents' for Halloween is totally awesome!!"

We were in the lunchroom, arguing about what to wear tomorrow for Halloween since we were all going trick or treating. Ah, free candy. I couldn't wait. I finally found a costume that Melissa agreed to, but seriously? Aston was making this even more difficult.

I raised my eyebrow. "What's it gonna take to get you to do it?" I challenged.

He smiled devilishly. "You have to give me all of your candy."

My mouth dropped open. "But-but- all of it?!"

He grinned, satisfied. "Yep. You heard me. All of it."

Melissa plopped down next to me, the first thing that she noticed was my appalled expression. "What's wrong?" she asked immediately.

"If Sofa here wants me to dress up as Cosmo, she has to give me all of her candy."

"Ooh." Melissa groaned. "That's tough."

"I know," I complained. I turned to Aston. "Can't I at least have onee Kit-Kat?" I pleaded, giving my best puppy dog face.

"Nope." He grinned. "Not. Even. One."

I put my head in my hands, groaning. Halloween was my favorite holiday, and now I wasn't even getting candy!

"You know," Aston started, "you don't have to go through with this."

My head immediately shot up.

"You could just forget the whole thing and we don't even need to dress up!"

He was trying to weasel his way out of our deal!

"Nope." I forced a grin, that was fake, even to me. "Don't even try to weasel your way out of it!"

He put out his hand, extending it towards me. I did the same, and we shook on it, a grin plastered on both of our faces.

"Sorry to interrupt, but can I steal Sophia for a second?"

I turned my head to see Matthew grinning at me, then felt pain rush into my hand. Aston's face was of pure anger, and he was squeezing my hand so hard it was turning a dark crimson color.

"Ow!" I yanked my hand away and Aston glanced at me in concern.

I turned to Matthew and nodded. "Sure thing."

We walked to a different table, one that was at least eight feet away from ours and he turned to face me, rejection on his face.
"You never answered my text last night. Do you not want to go? I mean, that's totally cool if you don't want to."

"No! I'd love to. Is it okay if I bring my friends with me?"

Matthew nodded. "Sure thing. See you tomorrow night! It starts at 11:45!"

With that, he walked away to his table, and I headed to mine.

"So?" Aston said, voice cold once I sat down, "What did he want?"

I shrugged. "He asked me if I wanted to go to a bonfire tomorrow night."

"And?" Melissa asked.

"And what?" I replied.

"And.. what did you say, you idiot?" Melissa said, punching my shoulder playfully.

"I said yes." I took a gulp of my milk and watched as Aston's face turned from angered to furious.

"Aston? What's wrong?"

He shoved a bite of food into his mouth, ignoring me.

"Aston?" I asked.

He stood up, grabbing his plate, but before he left, he turned to look at me. "Do whatever you want Sophia, but do this: stay away from Matthew. He's not the right guy for you."

And with that, he walked away, not even telling me bye.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We returned from Party City, all the supplies that we needed in our bags. Without even a glance back at us, Aston hurried into his house, the door slamming behind us.

I turned to Melissa and she shrugged. Suddenly, her phone rang and she was talking to Chad, I supposed.

Instead of listening to her private conversation, I walked into the house, my surroundings unfamiliar.

Suddenly I heard the sound of a piano being played.

I walked down the narrow hallway as the sound grew louder. I was finally greeted by a closed door, which I opened quietly.

Aston was sitting on a bench like chair, his fingers moving gracefully on the keys. I immediately recognized the solo as "Someone Like You" by Adele.

The solo kept on building up until it was time for him to sing. I watched silently as he took a deep breath, and began.
I heard that you've settled down, that you've found a boy and you're perfect now
I heard that your dreams came true,
Guess he gave you things I couldn't give to you

I was speechless. If I thought he played well, I was wrong. His singing was even better. Every lyric he sang sounded like silk. It was perfect, beautiful.

Old friend why are you so shy
Ain't like you to hold back, or hide from the light.
I'd hate to turn up out of the blue invited but I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it
I hoped you see my face and that you be reminded that for me it wasn't over..

This was my favorite song, and without realizing it, I had opened the door and was singing the chorus along with him. He turned to face me in surprise, but continued singing.

Never mind I'll find someone like you
I wish nothing but the best, for you two.
Don't forget me, I think I remember you say
Sometimes it lasts in love, but sometimes it hurts instead

I took a deep breath, then sang the last verse softly.
Sometimes it lasts in love, but sometimes it hurts instead

Aston hit the last note and turned to look at me.

"Wow," he breathed. "You're really good."

I blushed. "But you're better."

He shrugged. "Maybe we just sound good together."

I smiled and so did he. "I'm sorry for being a jerk today Sophia. You don't deserve that."

I rubbed my arm. "Yeah, why did you do that?"

He looked at me, a sparkle in his eyes. "Because Matthew doesn't deserve you. He's not the right guy for you."

I felt my breath catch in my throat.

"Then, who is?" I asked in a whisper.

Aston grabbed my chin, then scooted closer, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. He leaned in closer and I closed my eyes.

The door opened and we jumped back.

Melissa was standing in the doorway. "Guess what?! Chad's joining us tomorrow night!"

AUTHORS NOTE:

HI GUYS!! THANKS FOR READING! DONT FORGET TO VOTE!! :)

So, what did you thinnk of that ALMOST KISSS???