Prologue:

I remember it clearly, as if it had happened only seconds ago. The memory itself was fresh on my mind, like a scab wound that never healed. The day started out like any other, and I had no reason to suspect that it would've turned out to be anything different. I guess that's the funny thing about life. Just the mere fact that what could seem to be an ordinary day would turn out to be the day that would change you, alter your future into something that you never imagined.

I was at fifteen at the time and was sitting in my room, watching t.v., when the yelling started again. I got back from shopping with Angela, and all I wanted was to go home and relax. But that didn't happen. It never did.

Mom and Dad fought constantly, it was rare to ever see them smile anymore. I guess that's what happens when your parents fight so much; the happiness just fades gradually.

I turned the volume louder, trying to drown the sounds out, but much to my disappointment, that didn't work.

The yelling and arguing grew louder, until it smashed against my eardrums.

"What, Megan? What exactly do you want?!" my dad bellowed.
"I want to leave, Christian! That's what I want! I'm getting Sophia! We're leaving and you're staying. There's nothing you can do about it." Her tone matched his equally.

Leaving? I couldn't leave. I had friends here. Who's to say I'd make any more?

"Fine! Take your lies and your stuff with you, then!" Dad said, and the sound of something smashing filled the air.

"Get your ass on the ground now!"

Oh, God. That voice wasn't Mom's or even Dad's. It was someone else's, someone we didn't even know. Someone broke into our house. I tiptoed quietly, trying to keep my breathing steady as I shut my bedroom door closed behind me. I started hyperventilating. Phone, I thought. 911. I need the phone. I grabbed my cell and opened my closet, got in it, then shut it behind me. I dialed the three numbers, and then took deep breaths until a woman finally answered.
"911, what's your emergency?"

"Someone broke into my house and I-I I don't know what to do! My parents are downstairs and I have zero idea if they're hurt or not." I sobbed.

The woman's response was soft and calming. "Okay sweetie, what's your address?"

"Um.. It's 425 Grantine Road. The zip is 70518."

"Okay sweetie, you need to stay as calm and as quiet as you can. Help is on the way."

I obeyed, the only sound coming through was of breathing. The sound of three gunshots reverberated against the sudden silence and I bit against my hand to keep from crying out. Hot tears fell down my face.

I waited a moment and heard nothing. Shakily, I stood up and opened my closet door, my heart pounding in my chest.

I opened my room door, walking out slowly. A gun was pressed to my head and I suddenly reeled backwards, without having time to react to anything at all.

I was pushed and kicked until I got tied to the leg of my bed.

"Hey, beautiful. How you're doing?"

I felt disgusted, revolted, as he pressed his lips against mine. I kicked and thrashed and he finally got off of me.
"Such a shame you're gonna die tonight."

I swallowed, fear all around me. It was even in the air.

He took out a lighter, and brought it closer to the curtain that was above my window.

"Please, don't!" I begged, hoping he would stop.

Did he? No, indeed he didn't.

He pressed the little button and suddenly my curtain was in flames. He did that to every single item in my room, the fire trailing around me.

I coughed, the smoke making my eyes water, and my lungs hard to move.

The man winked at me, and I fought against the restraints, determined to somehow get free. I had to save my family.

He left swiftly, and the fire became larger, hotter, more dangerous.

"Mom!!! Dad!!" I hollered, but got no reply.

I finally yanked off the bond that held me to my bed, and ran out of the room, screaming as the fire enveloped me, searching for my parents.

The first thing my mind registered was smoke. Lots of it. After running out of my room, I ran smack into more fire and yelled again.

I finally spotted my parents, their bodies melting in the fire.

"No!!" I screamed and ran forward. I yelled again as I fell straight into the fire, the heat all over me.

And as I lost consciousness, the last thing I heard was sirens.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hey guys! Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote!! :)

Have you guys ever went through a traumatic experience?