"Lizzie, can I talk to you about something?" She says so quietly, I almost didn't hear her.

Here we go!

"Honey, you can talk to me about absolutely anything." I watch as her jaw trembles, so I reach out to take her hand in mine.

Caroline takes a deep breath, but I wait patiently for her to speak.

"We're having trouble." She whispers.

"You and Jer?" I ask, still holding her hand.

She nods slowly, and bites her lip. The pain washes over her face, and I can see that she is struggling to stay in control of her emotions. I know that feeling.

"What's happened?"

"I don't know if I should tell you. I'm such a selfish cow even thinking of involving you."

"I'm your best friend. I want you to involve me in everything that happens."

She takes a shaky breath. "We've been trying for a baby for around a year, and nothing has happened."

My jaw drops open.

I had no idea they were serious about children. A lump attempts to rise in my throat, but I swallow hard. I try to neutralise my expression before she notices.

This isn't about you, I scream at myself.

"Oh Hun, I'm sorry to hear that. You know, it can take a while. Have you been to see a doctor?" I'm pleased that I've managed to keep the quiver out of my voice.

"Yeah, she said things with me seemed fine, but she could run more tests to make sure. Jeremy has refused to go. He just says it will happen on its own time, and not to stress. But, I am stressed. He's not around enough. We argued all over Christmas, Lizzie. We've barely spoken while he's been away. He has blamed the time difference, but I know he's avoiding me. He doesn't know that I know he has chosen to stay on the dig for an extra two weeks..." Caroline bursts into tears.

I quickly drag my chair so I am next to her, and pull her to me. She sobs against my dress as I let her cry it all out.

"Once Jer is home, you need to have a sit down with him, and talk everything through. He loves you so much, and I bet he probably doesn't realise how you're feeling. I promise it will all work out."

Caroline blows her nose. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but after Charlotte, I didn't want to hurt you. I'm sorry to mention it now, but I just didn't know who else to talk to."

"Don't be silly. I'm here for you through all of this. I'll be by your side until you're a mummy. Don't ever feel like you can't talk to me. I love you."

****

I walk back to my office in the bitter cold, relishing the sting of the wind on my heated cheeks.

The feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach returns, and I have to stop walking when it feels like my lungs are constricting. I shake it from my mind, knowing that I could be overreacting. But I'm painfully aware that I've been foolish, and it may all be too late.

What will happen if it is?

I have to force myself to return to work. I take the lift up to our floor, and steady my trembling hands when I step out.

"Lizzie. There is a gentleman here to see you. I told him to wait in your office."

"OK, thank you. Did he say who he was?" My heart begins to pound in my chest, but I keep my tone steady.

"No, just that he was popping in to see you."

I hold my head up high as I walk towards my office, not knowing who I'm going to find in there.

I turn the corner, and through the glass my eyes immediately land on a pristinely dressed Harrison Banner. His head is down, typing away on his phone. He looks completely absorbed by whatever he is dealing with.

I expel the breath from my body that I didn't know I was holding.

"Harrison! What an unexpected surprise."

He stands and beams at me. I find myself grinning back. He quickly straightens his custom made black suit jacket, which yet again fits him like a glove. This time he is wearing a crisp white shirt with a maroon, perfectly pressed tie.

"Lizzie. I just wanted to pop by, and offer my apologies."

I gesture for him to take a seat again, while I take the chair opposite him.

"Whatever for?"

"I feel awful that I asked for the proposals to be sent through before Christmas, and then I haven't been in touch for over a month." He has the decency to look embarrassed.

"It's not a problem, Harrison. I just hope you like some of the ideas." I say politely through gritted teeth, remembering the hours I worked to meet his deadline.

"Definitely. You are very talented. I haven't got long, but thought I would pop in to ask if we could have a meeting on Saturday to go through some of the ideas?"

Shit... Saturday.

"I can't this Saturday I'm afraid, I have plans."

"I'm going to level with you. I'm on my way to the airport now to head over to Paris until Saturday morning. I'm only back in London for Saturday before I travel to Mexico to look at prospective hotels. I may be out there for several weeks."

My mind whirls at a thousand miles an hour.

I miss Daniel so much, and we promised no more than four weeks a part. But, this is the biggest advertising campaign I will ever have managed. There is nothing to stop Harrison going to one of our bigger competitors if he thinks I can't handle it.

If I go through the plans with him Saturday, then it means I can start working on designs while he's abroad.

I don't know to do!

"Lizzie, you OK? If you have important plans, I can always ask Ashley if he wants to go through your ideas. That way he can bring you up to speed next week?"

Am I really going to let that pervert worm his way into the biggest campaign I have ever worked on? I can't let that happen, I've worked too hard.

Daniel will understand... I'm sure he will... I hope.

I clasp my eyes shut for a second, and gather my thoughts.

"Saturday is fine. I can rearrange my plans."

"Wonderful." Harrison stands up before passing me his phone. "Pop your number in there, and I'll text you once I've landed."

I type it in, save it, and then call my number so I can save his too. I pass it back to him, but our fingers brush for a second. His eyes snap up to meet mine, and he smirks at me. I pull my hand back as though I've been stung, and start to walk over to my desk.

"I'll see you Saturday, Harrison. Safe travels."

"I'm looking forward to it already. Take care, Lizzie."

He picks up his bag and waltzes out of my office. I bounce down heavily on my office chair, and put my head in my hands.

When I look up I see the missed call from Harrison's number, alongside one from Daniel.

Why is everything so fucking hard?

- hey guys

What do you think of this chapter?

Any thoughts on Caroline? Harrison?

How do you think Daniel is going to take the news she's already breaking their promise?

Thank you all for still reading and please tick the little star -