Chapter Seven: Lukanette Special

·Phillipe's Ice Rink·

Stop Pretending, Marinette

While Marinette was out visiting Adrien via Ladybug, Luka had also gotten Adrien's text. Luka knew that not only would he be upset that Adrien wouldn't be coming, but Marinette would be too. They had all been looking forward to going together, ever since the Kagami/Adrien date fiasco just after the concert. Despite his disappointment, he made his way to the Ice Rink where Marinette was set to meet him.

"Hey Luka," Marinette called out, a bit more cheerful than he'd expected her to be.

"Hey, Marinette. Ready to skate?" Luka replied as he opened the door for her and they made their way inside. He couldn't help noticing the smile on Marinette's face, which was odd considering Adrien wasn't coming.

"Yes!" she replied enthusiastically as she bounded through the door.

Once they were inside, Luka paid the small fee to get some skates and they made their way to the rink. He took a seat and started putting on his skates. Marinette sat down in the seat next to him and did the same. It only took a few minutes for the two of them to get ready, and Luka quickly offered Marinette his hand to take her out to the ice.

Just as they stepped onto the rink, Marinette pulled away. "Oh I almost forgot! Guess what?!"

"What?" Luka replied as he easily spun around to face her.

"I have been practicing those balancing techniques you showed me and I think I'm getting pretty good." She explained as she showed him one. She was able to pull it off perfectly.

Luka was impressed. He was sure that soon she wouldn't be losing her balance anymore which made him a little sad - he liked saving her. "That's great! I'm proud of you. You're a natural born skater you know."

"I can't be," Marinette whined.

"And why not?" Luka inquired as he glanced in her direction perplexed.

"Because I'm so clumsy," Marinette replied as she stumbled but she managed to reclaim her balance all on her own using one of the techniques he showed her.

Luka took her hand as they continued to skate, shaking his head, "Being clumsy doesn't stop you from being a natural skater, Marinette. Just like being quick on your feet doesn't make you a natural fencer. It's your ability to move and learn a skill that makes you natural at it. I imagine someone like Ladybug - very similar to you - would have to be a natural at learning skills. After all, fighting with a yo-yo is nothing like fencing and not a commonly practiced skill. I doubt she practiced with one before she began fighting akumas."

She flinched and her head snapped in his direction. He had her full attention as he compared her to Ladybug. However, she relaxed when he suggested Ladybug might be someone else. Luka had been watching her reaction closely and it made him chuckle.

"Now that I think about it, perhaps you are Ladybug," Luka teased just to see how she would reply. However, instead of replying, her hand suddenly left him and she promptly slammed into the wall of the rink. "You okay, Marinette?" Luka asked as he held out a hand to help her up.

"Yeah, sorry. But you don't really think I could be Ladybug? Do you?" Marinette asked as she accepted his assistance.

Luka gave her a genuine smile. "Of course, I do. Your smart, brave and beautiful just like she is." Marinette blushed and Luka's grin widened. "You're especially beautiful when you blush," he whispered in her ear - which only made her blush brighter, but her smile told him she was more happy than embarrassed.

The entire time they were skating Luka kept pointing out all the ways Marinette was like Ladybug. No matter how many points he came up with, she always had some counter argument as to why she couldn't possibly be Ladybug, but Luka knew better.

I Love You

Once they had finished skating, they climbed on the subway and took a seat. Fortunately, they had almost the entire train car to themselves. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders and whispered in her ear. "Stop pretending, Marinette. I know you're Ladybug."

"W-what?! I-I'm not," she started but when she looked up at him, he interrupted.

"Come on, Marinette. I was watching you spar with Adrien. The next thing I knew, I was watching Ladybug spar with The Black King akuma and all I could see was your form from the sparing match moments before. Not to mention, how is it that you just happened to know how to alert Ladybug when my mother got akumatized?"

She must have realized there was no more pretending because she didn't even attempt to come up with an excuse this time. He knew and there was nothing she could do about it. Her expression dropped into terror and worry.

"No one is supposed to know, Luka. It puts you at terrible risk," Marinette grumbled.

Luka used his arm wrapped around her shoulder to pull her close to his side. "Don't worry, Marinette. I have no intention of publicizing the fact that I know."

Marinette let out the breath she'd been holding. "Thank you, Luka. I would hate for anything to happen to you or anyone else."

"Can I ask you something about it though?" Luka inquired as the train neared their stop.

She silently contemplated his request before she nodded. He could tell she wasn't entirely comfortable.

"You don't have to answer if you don't want to." She gave him a small smile. "Do you know who Chat is?"

Marinette dramatically shook her head, no. "I don't have a clue. From the very beginning, I made it clear to him that it was best we didn't know."

"I see," Luka said softly. "Then he really did just happen across us on your balcony."

Marinette nodded. "He's visited me once before but that's it. Actually, the first time he visited me was when he told me he loves Ladybug. Which I'm sure you can understand how awkward it was being me and hearing that."

Luka chuckled deeply. "Hmm... Now, why does it not surprise me that Chat is in love with you? Oh wait, two reasons. One: I have an idea who he might be and if it is who I think, it makes total sense," Luka teased.

If Adrien was indeed Chat Noir like Luka suspected, it made perfect sense why Adrien seemed to like Marinette but wasn't willing to do anything about it. His affections were torn between two very similar and enchanting personalities, who just happened to be the same kind and endearing young girl.

"Wait you think you know who Chat is too?" she asked in a hushed whisper. Luka nodded. "Then what's your other reason?"

"Because you're easy to love, even I love you." Marinette's face turned bright red as their train pulled into the station, but Luka continued before she could say anything, making it clear she didn't need to repeat his sentiment unless she wanted too. "Also I think you should know who Chat is. If my guess is correct, you would be pleasantly surprised."

When the train came to a stop, Luka helped her up and followed her to the platform before he looped his arm back around her shoulders. He liked being close to her.

As they made their way to the bakery, Luka couldn't help looking down at Marinette with an adoring look. She really was a very interesting girl.

"So you really think we should know?" Marinette asked Luka since they were out in the open.

Luka peered down at her seriously. "Yes. After all, how do you know you're not trying to rescue him as a civilian when you need his help or vice versa?"

"Fair point. He even hinted last night on the balcony that he might know me as a civilian, which makes that very likely. I would hate for someone I know to be harmed by an Akuma."

"I agree. To me, it sounds like he's close to you. He did seem a bit protective over you last night." Luka recounted as he pulled away to open the bakery door for her.

"Thank you," Marinette said with a bright grin as she made her way past him.

"You're welcome," Luka replied as he stepped inside behind her.

They quietly made their way up the stairs towards her apartment. Marinette's parents could be heard just out of sight in the kitchen prepping dinner.

"You're back. We just put dinner in," Sabine said before she peeked around the corner and spotted Luka, placing another plate on the table. "Would you like to stay, Luka? There will be plenty."

Luka quickly glanced at Marinette who was looking up at him expectantly, waiting for his reply. He had planned just to walk her to the door and head home, but he didn't mind staying longer.

"I would love too," Luka replied, pulling his phone out and sending his mother a quick text, letting her know not to worry about him for dinner since he would be eating at Marinette's place.

Sabine gave him a smile. "It will be ready in about an hour."

"Great. Come on, Luka, I wanna show you something." Luka simply nodded and followed her up the stairs.

Luka and Tikki

Once the door was securely shut, Marinette turned to Luka. "I wanna show you something. Something you will have never seen before and something very few people know about. You can't tell anyone just like knowing I'm Ladybug. Can you do that?"

"Yes, anything for you Marinette," Luka replied unsure exactly what she could be talking about, but certain he would keep any secret she asked him to.

Marinette opened her bag and said, "Tikki, you can come out."

Luka gave her a confused look, but before he could ask what she was talking about, something tiny and red flew out of her bag and positioned itself on Marinette's shoulder.

"Hi, Luka! It's nice to formally meet you!" the little ladybug looking creature said.

Luka tilted his head as he looked at the tiny little being. "It's nice to meet you too." He tilted his head, reaching out towards her. "May I?" Luka asked.

Before he could make contact Tikki flew out and landed in his hand. "No need to be timid."

Luka pulled her closer, looking her over. "Sorry to ask but what are you?"

Marinette grinned. "She's my kwami. She's what makes me Ladybug."

"Oh! So you're the reason Marinette gets to be Ladybug?" Luka was beginning to connect the dots, literally.

"Exactly!" Tikki replied.

"So you're with her all the time?" Luka glanced over at Marinette before moving over to her chaise to sit down with Tikki still in hand.

"Yup, her little bag makes for the perfect place to hide. Much better then what some of the Ladybugs before her had. Even if it's not the best, it's very comfortable, except when she forgets I'm in there and throws the bag around," Tikki teased.

Marinette made her way over and took a seat next to Luka. "That was one time!"

Luka chuckled softly. "So, I'm assuming, you get to listen in on all her conversations and you're likely her confidant."

Tikki nodded. "I know everything, and I would never tell!"

"I wouldn't ask nor expect you too, little one. However, I do wonder what you think about our earlier conversation regarding Marinette here learning who Chat is and showing him who she is?" Luka knew Tikki would likely be the deciding factor on if Marinette chose to know who Chat is.

"While it is dangerous, I do see your point if they knew each other's identities. They wouldn't waste time trying to protect each other and that would speed up the process of defeating akumas. But as I have told Marinette, I will stand by her, whatever she decides."

Marinette reached out and poked her gently. "Thank you, Tikki. You really are the best."

"Are you kidding? After you trusted me so we kwami's could try and contact Nooroo and all the havoc that caused? You trusted me and I have to trust you. After all, I'm certain you would have discovered his identity eventually. Better to do it on your own terms than as a surprise." Tikki assured her.

Before their conversation could continue, Luka realized something. "Wait, am I right in assuming Chat Noir and Hawk Moth, as well as the other heroes all have a kwami?"

"Yes and no. All miraculous are linked to a specific kwami," Tikki replied. "Only Marinette and Chat Noir have kwami's assigned to them. The others heroes only have them temporarily when needed, and Hawk Moth we're unsure how he came to possess Nooroo's miraculous.

"Oh right, I forgot about the miraculous. That's what Hawk Moth is always going on about. Right?" Luka mused.

"Yes, Chat Noir and I have the two most powerful miraculous and they can be used together for more than just protecting Paris," Marinette explained

When she didn't expand on the subject any further Luka said, "I'm going to assume that's all I'm going to learn about them." He turned back to Tikki, "So, do you know Chat Noir's Kwami?"

"Of course, we're all very close. Some of us closer than others."

"I see. So, there are a lot of you?" Luka asked, making sure his question was vague enough that Tikki would feel comfortable answering.

"Yes, more than just the ones you or I have mentioned so far," Tikki agreed.

"Wow, this is all rather fascinating. May I ask, what is Chat Noir's kwami called?" Luka was hatching a plan and knowing the name of the Black Cat's kwami would definitely help speed things along.

"Plagg," Tikki provided. "It would be an odd name if it were for anything other than the kwami of destruction."

"It's definitely unique, just like yours." Luka mused and turned back to Marinette. "Well, what do you think? If I'm right about Chat Noir, would you be willing to meet him? I could arrange it and have him come to my mom's ship? That way you can change your mind anytime before you meet," Luka offered.

Marinette sat in complete silence, contemplating the idea. "How about this? You find out if you're right and I will decide from there. If you're wrong, it doesn't matter. If you're right, I will have an answer when you know," Marinette supplied.

"That's fair. I will try to find out as quickly as I can so you don't have to sit in limbo for long." Luka assured her as he offered, Tikki back to Marinette.

Marinette grinned at him and took Tikki into her own hands. "T-thanks, Luka."

"Of course."

Suddenly, the trapdoor opened and Tikki darted behind them. "Dinner's almost ready, Marinette. Would you two mind setting the table?"

"Of course not, Maman. We'll be right down," Marinette assured. Sabine disappeared and Tikki pooped back out of hiding. "Before we go down, I wanted to tell you; I'm glad I finally have someone to share this with."

"Then you should definitely consider sharing this with Chat Noir. I might know your secret, but I don't understand the demands of being a superhero like he would. And I think you would find it worth the risk." Luka insisted. "I won't force you to tell him, but I will be here every step of the way if you decide you want to."

Marinette leaned in and kissed his cheek. "Thank you, Luka."