Chapter 12

On Monday morning, Alec got up and headed to school early, wanting to get in a warm up session before football practice.
As Coach Garroway came out to the field to start setting up, he noticed Alec jogging around the track, he admired Alec's sense of commitment.
Actually he was glad to see him there, he needed to have a talk with him, but he decided to let him finish his run first.
"Morning Coach" Alec panted as he jogged past.
"Morning Lightwood" he smiled back.

After Alec was done with his jog, he headed back to the locker room to sink a protein bar and bottle of water for breakfast before his day got properly started.
"Alec can I talk to you for a sec?" Coach Garroway asked
"Yeah, sure" Alec said, the concern at his Coach's tone pretty obvious on his face as he straightened up and Coach Garroway sat next to him on the little locker room bench.
"Is everything okay?" he added.
"Yeah it's fine. Just I was talking with Professor Verlac and he's a little concerned about how you're doing in your Algebra class. Alec you know if you let your grades fall behind you won't be eligible to play" his Coach informed him.
"What?" Alec added, hurt. He'd thought he was doing okay enough to get by.
"Look you're a bright kid Alec, the 2 of us just think you might need some help to get your grades up a little. There's no reason that a guy as smart as you can't get at least a B" Luke reassured him with a pat on the shoulder, "So I've set you up with a tutor that's happy to spend an hour or two with you once or twice a week, just to help you keep up. You okay with that?" he finished.
He didn't want to offend or upset Alec, but he wanted him to stay on the team and he wanted to see him do well, a tutor would be the best thing for him.
"Yeah. Yeah okay" Alec agreed, eager to do anything that he needed to do to keep him on the team.
"I'll get my grades up Coach, I swear" he promised.
"I know you will buddy" he said with another pat to the shoulder as he stood, glad that Alec had taken it so well. "He's gonna meet you in the Library at lunch to arrange a schedule that fits with you both, okay?" Luke added as he started to head towards the door to the field once again.
"Yes Sir" Alec smiled, feeling pretty determined. He knew that with classes, practice, friends, chores and a new boyfriend that he would have a lot on his plate taking on the tutoring sessions too but he knew he had to.

--

At 12:30, after a shower, Alec made his way to the Library. He spotted Magnus sitting at one of the work tables. His first reaction was to smile at seeing his cute as a button boyfriend, but then fear from knowing he would have to explain why he was there, the Library wasn't Alec's usual place to just hang out for no reason. He supposed maybe he could play it down a little if Magnus asked.

"Hey" Alec greeted Magnus with a shy kiss to the cheek.
"Ah there you are" Magnus replied with a dorky smile.
"Here I am? Did you know I was coming here?" Alec frowned, confused at the casual way Magnus had said that.
"Of course, I'm your Math tutor" Magnus smiled proudly.

The look of surprise on Alec's face was a picture. Magnus thought it might be the most adorable thing he had ever seen.
"What?" Alec asked, wide-eyed and a little embarrassed as he felt a light blush rising in his cheeks.
"I saw your name on the list of students that needed some extra help so I snapped you up right away" he said with a flirtatious smile.

Alec sat in the seat opposite him, not sure what to say. Magnus took in the look on his face.
"Alexander there's no need to be embarrassed" he said sympathetically as he reached across the table to take Alec's hand. "You just need a little extra help. There's no shame in it. I'll have you up to getting B's in just a few weeks, I promise"
How could Alec resist that face, sweet smile and tone. He supposed Magnus was right, he would rather have someone he knew than some know it all nerd that just thought he was stupid.

He smiled, coyly, dancing his fingers with Magnus' atop of the table.
"You're right" he sighed, smiling a tight lipped smile.
"Okay" he said, ready and determined as he pulled his books from his bag "show me what ya got" Alec finished.
"Oh we're gonna get no where if you start flirting like that" Magnus chuckled, wiggling his eyebrows at a blushing Alec, who hadn't really realised what he's said.