•33•

Pete sits in the hospital chair with his head in his hands. Ryan made the call to their parents before the hospital could. The police talked to them for 45 minutes after the incident and a warrant was released for Jason and Luke. They haven't been found yet. Pete is going to kill them, there's no doubt about it. He doesn't care how many life sentences he gets, What death penalty he is in for...

It'll all be worth it.

For Patrick.

The glasses burn in his hand. He opens them, looking through the thick lenses. The fedora sits on his lap. Pete hasn't said much. It worries Ryan though. Brendon, who is usually funny and chatty, is dead silent. Solemn look, arm around Ryan, holding him tightly. This isn't what Ryan wanted when he wished Brendon held him. He wished for reruns of Friends on the TV, bottles of cheez whiz and bags of chips on the bed, glasses of milk next to them...

But not this.

"Guys..." Joe cuts the silence.

Everyone looks up and at the messy haired boy. His hair was an actual mess...jokes aside. Pete wanted to give him some of the gel Brendon gave him.

"I want to say...even if Patrick doesn't make it...that I enjoyed every second with him. His laugh makes me smile and his smile makes me...smile?" Joe smiles slightly.

Patrick's parents do as well.

"I think we should go around and say what we like about Patrick." Andy says.

"I said mine." Joe leans back.

"I'll go...I like that he likes the same things as me...he's super easy to get along with..." Andy says before leaning back.

"I'm his mom so I love everything about him." His mom laughs a little.

The circle jumps to Ryan. "Uhm...I liked that he was passive...but he knew what he wanted...that he-"

"Wants." Pete mumbles.

"What?" Ryan leans forward.

"Wants. You said wanted. Patrick's not dead anymore...they revived him so let's just use present tense."

"O-okay." Ryan nods. "He knows what he wants. He's really fucking smart too."

More laughter.

"Well...I've only known him for like... a day...but he's wonderful. I think I like his voice the most."

All eyes turn to Pete, who stares at Patrick's fedora.

"I like how he pulls his sleeves over his hands when he gets nervous...I like the way his eyes glimmer when he laughs...I like the way he makes fun of his height, when it's actually perfect for him...I like the way he knows how to calm me if I'm angry or sad...I like that I can hate myself around him because I feel like I'm never good enough for him."

Everyone stares, biting their lips, squeezing someones hand.

"Someone else go now." Pete mutters, leaning back in his chair.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Rae."

Pete looks up at the doctor. This doctor has a pearly white grin, thin framed glasses, a bald head, and a dark complexion.

"Mr and Mrs Stump?"

The parents stand, holding onto each other for support. Everyone holds their breath. Pete squeezes the fedora to his chest, eyes locked to the doctor.

"Patrick is alive and the swelling has gone down since his arrival. He's still getting assistance on breathing as the swelling is still too much for breathing on his own."