A Bit Different

I got to the soda machine and put in the quarter. I looked at the choices. They were all the same. That strange blue soda I've never heard of. I clicked a random button and out came a soda. I grabbed it and looked at the tables. There was another chocolate bar at the front table. Remembering the bully, I decided to take it. I shoved it in my pocket and made my way back to the classroom.

I made my way back to class, and opened the door. Mr. Baldi wasn't in there. He must have went to the faculty lounge or something. I'll wait until he gets back. I sat down in my chair and waited for him to return. I put my soda on the desk next to me, so I didn't spill it. I rested my head in my arms. What's taking him so long? I heard the door open behind me. I turned around expexting to see Mr. Baldi, but instead I saw the principal. "Hello, sir." i greeted him. He gave me a small smile, but that smile quickly disappeared. "Why are you in this classroom? You can't be in a class with no teacher." I looked back at Mr. Baldi's desk, before looking back at the principal. "Mr. Baldi sent me to get a soda, sir. I came back and hw wasn't in here. I'm sorry." He looked at my soda, then back to me. "Don't open that. Also, you're in the wrong classroom. Your class is down the hall." I felt my face heat up. He must have known I was embarassed, because he spoke up again. "I'll let you off with a warning this one time. Come on, I'll take you to your class." I smiled and gathered up all my things, before meetint him at the door. "Thank you, sir. Again, I'm sorry." He smiled. "No trouble at all, _____________. You're a good kid."

We got to the other classroom. The principal knocked on the door, then opened it. What was the point of knocking? He held the door for me, and I stepped inside. A frown spread across Mr. Baldi's face. "Did you get detention, _____________?" I shook my head. The principal spoke up on my behalf. "Not to worry, Baldi, they didn't get into any trouble. They just found themselves in the wrong classroom." Mr. Baldi's smile appeared on his face. "Ah, great! I'd hate to see my star student get detention." I'm the only student. I could live in detention and still be the star student, but I'm not gonna push my luck." The principal left. Mr. Baldi spoke up. "This school can be confusing at times." I smiled and nodded. "Yeah, sorry about taking so long. Oh, and thank you again for the soda." His smile grew slightly. "No trouble at all, ___________." Everyone at this school is so nice. Despite bwing weird, they're all pretty friendly. Well, all of them except the bully. I feel bad for judging them so harshly yesterday. "Can we do some problems, sir? I don't want to flunk summer school." Mr. Baldi looked at me, a hint of panic in his eyes. "Y-Yeah, I suppose we should get some math done." He walked over to his desk, pulling out a tablet and handing it to me. I looked over the questions.
2+7=?
10-3=?
$!€£%*=€#&!( + &:*÷(#&#(( × _#(÷£÷€&:÷( =?

I finished the first 2 no problem. I looked at the third one. Was this a joke? Is there a glitch? No, it can't be a glitch. How can mr. Baldi look at this and tell me it's not messed up? Is it me? I raised my hand. Mr. Baldi came over. "Yes?" He spoke in a warm tone, but it had a hint of fear. I sighed. "I really don't understand this problem. Can I get some help?" Mr. Baldi tensed up. "Sorry ____________, you have to try to solve that one on your own. You can do it." He walked back to his desk. Great, a teacher who can't teach me. Maybe this is why I judged him si harshly. I wrote down another random answer. I called him over and he came to take a look. He smiled. "Wow, anazing job! Great work!" Then he got to the third problem. He fell silent. His eye began to twitch again. I decided to speak up. "I'm sorry, sir. I just really don't understand it." He took a deep breah, letting out a loud sigh. "I know, _________. I know." He pinched the area between his eyes. I can tell he's getting frustrated. I looked down at my desk. I shouldn't feel this bad for not knowing the answer. I mean, none of those symbold were even numbers! The disappointed and rather creepy reactions I'm getting from Mr. Baldi make me feel terrible though. He gave me money for a soda and I let him down. Why does he get so mad though? Surely he expected some kids to get wrong answers in math class. It's math. He walked back over to his desk, putting the tablet down rather harshly. He turned around, clapping his hands together rather loudly. A large smile was plastered on his face. "_________, you're a great student! However, I'm getting very impatient with your lack of knowledge in my subject. One more wrong answer and I will have to punish you." Punish me? Like hit me with a ruler? FOR GETTING A PROBLEM WRONG?

"I'm obviously here because I'm not good at math!" I found myself yelling out loud. Oh shit. Mr. Baldi looked at me in shock. He never expected me to raise my voice at him. I never expected to either! I quickly apologized. "I'm so sorry, sir. I didn't mean to say that out loud." He still looked shocked, but calmed down a bit. "Why don't we go home for the day, hm? I thinj we've both had a long day." I nodded and grabbed my things. Mr. Baldi placed his hand on my back as he walked me to the exit. I turned to look at him. "Thank you again for the soda. I'll try to be better at math, I promise." His normal, cheerful smile returned. "I'm glad to hear it! Now, run along!" I turned and left. I don't know how to feel about him. He can be so nice, yet so terrifying. I got in the car and left. I'll worry about it tomorrow.

Mr. Baldi's P.O.V.
There they go. I let out a sigh. 2 wrong answers in 2 days. I don't know how much longer I can be nice about this.
I heard footsteps behind me, then the ever so familiar voice of the principal. "You didn't punish them." I sighed, not turning around. "No, not yet."