16. Puzzled lies (✔)

Start from the beginning

I thought about the hallucination. "No," I shook my head. He was about to say something but I stopped him. "After the stunt Erin pulled today, I'm just shaken a bit."

"Is it only Erin or something to do with the Andersons?"

"Alright, fine. You're right. I thought coming here would serve as a distraction, but it's worsening my mood." I was thankful to Erin who hadn't told anyone about the hallucination.

"Do you want to go back?"

I nodded.

"Fine. We'll leave tomorrow." I looked at him. He shrugged. "Eric wants to leave. You want to go. I'm not too happy. Erin is, well Erin. She's stubborn but we'll manage her too."

I smiled. "How's she doing, by the way?"

"She's fine. The burning has reduced but her eyes are swelling now. I shouldn't have let her go."

We both sat peacefully in silence.

"She's hurt and I'm not," I said.

"What?" Brody asked a little dazed.

I stared at him, "Erin fell into the river and her eyes are hurting now. I went after her in the water but I'm fine, perfectly fine. Why?"

"Roe," he whispered. "Don't."

"Don't question? But-"

"You're already feeling down. Don't pull yourself down. We're leaving, anyway. It doesn't matter."

I opened my mouth but shut it again. I had nothing to say.

He looked at me with surprise.

I asked, "What?"

"Your hair."

I frowned and held my hair which was tied in a pony. I gasped. The edges were turning white.

*****

As we all sat at the dining table, there was an unusual silence at the table. Ms. Miller stared at us with a doubtful look. I coughed and stared at Brody whose gaze fell on my hair. I had tied them in a bun to make sure nobody noticed it. He hadn't told anyone and had promised not to, unless I wanted to. Erin was the only one who ate peacefully without getting the awkward vibes. The only reason she was quiet was the dryness in her eyes. She was eager to sleep. For the first time I wanted her to chatter but I was sure she didn't have anything to talk about. Even Cash seemed bored.

"So, what are your plans for tomorrow?" Ms. Miller asked. Mr. Miller looked at his wife as if she had just asked us to donate both of kidneys.

Eric and Brody exchanged looks with each other and then looked at me. Erin was staring at us, expectantly. I shrugged. Eric spoke, "We're leaving tomorrow."

I cringed a little. That was a little too straight-forward. Ms. Miller stared at us, slack-jawed.

Erin choked on her drink. "What?" she shrieked. She looked at him to confirm. I wanted to hide under the table but I nodded, slowly.

She bit her inner cheek and nodded slowly. "Okay, so we're leaving." Her face was void of emotions. "I'm calling it a night," she mumbled and got up.

"Erin, sweetheart, are you done?" Ms. Miller pointed at her half- filled plate.

"Yes," she picked up the plate and emptied the contents in the dustbin. Ms. Miller gasped while Mr. Miller glared at the rest of us, helping his wife to their room.

"I'm sorry," I said. "We're so-"

"Inform us before leaving," he grumbled and banged the door.

I sighed and saw Erin's figure disappearing upstairs.