Chapter 5- That's a Bonus, Despite the Terror.

We sat in the car awkwardly, neither one of us speaking a word. Every now and then I'd take a quick glance at Nate, not wanting to stare too long in case he turned his head and caught me. His stony silence reminded me how I'd run off the other day, trying to remain non-dramatic, but failing. I remembered what happened after I dried off from my journey to the bottom of the sea.

I opened the door into my house, immediately running up the steps into my bedroom.

     "Ashlyn?" I heard my mother call. "Ashlyn are you alright?"

There was obvious worry in her voice.

     "I'm fine mom," I answered, to make sure she didn't join me in my bedroom for a talk. There was a little quiver in my voice; I felt the lump in my throat that told me I was about to cry. I forced back the tears, clamping my mouth shut and refusing to open it. If I did, I knew a sob would escape. And that would make me weak.

I slammed the door to my bedroom, locking it quickly before crumbling onto my bed. How could I have let Nate get to me? I wiped the tears from my eyes, the only water that wouldn't transform me. I would not become some over-hormonal dramatic teen girl.

I only cried for about five more minutes before the silent darkness of sleep took control of me.

I looked over at Nate once more, this time not recoiling in fear of him catching me. The moody gray light emitting from the sky illuminated his face. The sun was brooding behind a series of gray clouds, and the dull light made Nate's face look moody and emotionless. Which, it was. All the humor from before had been wiped from his face.

I looked down at my lap, my purple suede fringe bag lying there. I fiddled with the strap to busy myself, catching Nate looking at me out of the corner of his eye. I blushed, remembering him calling me "hon" not too long ago. Ugh, why was I blushing because of him? It's not like I like him or anything!

"Ashlyn," Nate said, his voice seeping into my brain. "We're at school." I looked up, making sure not to put his face into my line of sight. Sure enough, we were in front of the old brick building. I swung open his convertible door, slinging my bag over my shoulder and speed-walking away from his car. I was sure I didn't look cool, but who cares? It's not like I need to impress anyone.

Making sure Nate wasn't following me, I slowed to a walk. There weren't very many people around; maybe ten or twenty. I was walking slowly when suddenly, my arm was being tugged around to the side of the school.

"Paisley," I said, my eyes closed. The shade the school provided felt nice on my skin. "Why'd you drag me over he;" I stopped mid-sentence as I opened my eyes. The person in front of me was not Paisley or even Nate. Actually, it was some dude I'd never seen before. He had moved his grip from my arms to my two shoulders, and he was holding on tight.

"I'm onto you, little girl," he said, even though he looked maybe seventeen, not that much older than me. He shoved me back into the gloomy sunlight before stalking away into the building.

'Little girl?' I thought. He wasn't much older than me! I rolled my eyes, trying to prove to myself that I was not frightened at all. I was the opposite of frightened; I was excited? No, the adrenaline rush was from fear. Okay, I was scared. On to me?

I admit, I was half scared, half excited. Scared because apparently, some guy thinks he knows about my mermaid-ness. God forbid, I'd be sushi within the week. I was excited because the guy was pretty damn cute. And that's a bonus, despite the terror.

I shrugged my bag higher onto my shoulder, shaking off what just happened. What did he mean by "I'm on to you"? How could he possibly know that I was what I was?