Chapter 15: Branson.

Start from the beginning

“Oh, it’s you. Get out.” She said taking a sip of water from the glass next to her bed.

“What did I do?” I asked.

She hadn’t even let me get one foot in the door before she rejected me.

“Everything. On top of the fact that I just simply don’t want to see you anymore you promised you’d believe me, you promised you’d always be on my side, no matter what, and you weren’t.” She looked down at her guitar and plucked at a few cords before turning her head to look at the song book she was playing from.

“What song is that?”

“If I Die Young.” She answered not looking up at me. Her words meant so much more than she said.

“Oh, can you play it?” I asked inching towards her.

She looked up “Yes. Do you know the words?”

“Enough.” I said sitting down on the other side of the bed. Like a magnet, she automatically moved a good five inches away from me. I sighed.

She seemed to see the hurt look on my face and looked away, than she began playing the song without any warning.

“If I die young, burry me in satin lay me down on a bed of roses, sink me in the river at dawn, send me away with words of a love song.” She sang in her perfect voice, “Lord, make me a rainbow I’ll shine down on my mother. She’ll know I’m safe with you when she stands under my colors. Oh, and life ain’t always what you think it ought to be but it sure feels wrong when she burry her baby. Oh, oh. Oh, oh.”

She let the notes after she sang play out a little bit longer than they were supposed to while she nodded me to sing the next part.

I clear my throat before looking down at the pages of paper she had laid out before her and beginning to sing “Oh but I’ve had just enough time.”          

She smiled at me then began to sing, as she sang her smiled faded and her gaze ripped apart from mine “Oh, there’s a boy here in town says he’ll love me forever, who couldn’t have known forever could be severed by the sharp knife of a short life? Well, I’ve had just enough time.”

When she sang about the sharp knife my eyes traveled down her perfect form to find her wrists, still scabbed, and bloody.

She nodded to me and we sang together “If I die young, burry me in satin, lay me down on a bed of roses, sink me in the river at dawn send me away with the words of a love song. Oh, oh. Oh, oh”

I smiled as she continued to sing by herself the next part of the song, I wasn’t really listening though, her voice was like a beautiful background to match her beautiful face.

Then it was my turn to sing again “A penny for my thoughts, oh no, I’ll sell them for a dollar. There worth so much more, now that I’m a goner. Oh. Funny when you’re dead how people start listening. Oh, oh. Oh, oh.”