New Roads! Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

"A Merchant? What do they do?"

"They buy and sell goods to people and cities. To broaden their income they often have to look for new prospects and clients."

"That sounds quite interesting... I will think about it."

"If you decide to follow the Path of a Merchant go to the 'Bubbling Bar' and look for Gerry, he runs his old mans shop and is looking for help. It should be perfect for you as a start."

"I understand. Thank you."

When he left me three new windows showed.

"Kaden's name seems to have a lot of weight with the Military Officials. You should dig deeper."

"You were presented with the 'Path of the Conquering Merchant.' Ask your Mentor about it for more details."

"You have been proposed the Position 'Gerry's old man Shop's Assistant.' To accept it go see Gerry at the 'Bubbling Bar' in Djaden."

Path of the Merchant... sounds like a special profession. I should definitively look into it.

The rest of the day went by. The cleaning groups came back around sunset. When all of them were back I looked at the mission status window. There were only 17 outlaws left. Most probably holding up in their Camp.

The Camp!

I took my map out and noticed a second red blinking dot. Just next to the one indicating the Ruins.

Of course! They are using the Ruins as shelter1

My first instinct was to tell the Captain about my discovery, the second not to, after all, if the entire expedition force went there was the possibility that I would have to share the Forest Ruins Quest too. But then again, if all the bandits were there...

I will have to be smooth about it. Get an escort without attracting the attention of the players... it is worth the shot.

I went to the Commanding tent after finishing my Cook duties. The Mage Officer and the Captain were still looking at their map. Black dots were spread randomly around the forest. Most of them were closer to the ruins.

Locations of were the soldiers killed by bandits.

I greeted my superiors and started listing our remaining rations one by one.

"I suppose that what you are trying to say is that we are still running out of food?"

The redhead was losing her patience.

"No, I meant to say that if we stay here two more days we will be out. Except if we find the Bandits storage."

"Storage?"

"Yes. Food, water, weapon, treasure... I will need a secure and close by place. Also has to be protected from the weather."

The mage was already back on the map.

"Here. The Ruins."

"Yes. That is the only place that would do we haven't looked at yet."

"Their camp would have to be in front or in one of those three small clearings..."

"Or in all of them..."

I let them talk it out for a while.

"We should send men to check the situation of all three places and the ruins."

"I volunteer for the Ruins. As a Cook, I should be present to evaluate any food supplies I can see. No need to risk more men if it is for a back of moldering bread and canned veggies.