Chapter 35

Archer

A part of me believed I was invincible.

Maybe I was starting to become cocky. After going through so many death traps that never actually killed me, perhaps I was convinced I was immune to death. I overcame it, escaped it, faced it so many times the fear that should be shown to death never appeared on my face anymore.

The fear was dead, but I was very well alive.

Mia was right. She usually is, but I'm too stubborn to realize it. She said to stop running into danger all the time, and that I can't survive it all.

But that part that believed I was invincible only grew.

I ran to it. I jumped right in the middle of it. Somehow, danger tempted me in. Go through something one too many times and someone becomes a fool.

And I was an incredible one.

I don't know where I am. I'm laying on my back, my eyes staring up at the sky filled with clouded smoke. A constant buzz bothers my ears, and when I attempt to lift my arms to cover them, I can't lift my hands. The panic of not being able to move settles in. Tears fall involuntary down my face, and my chest rises and falls violently.

My legs. I can't feel my legs.

I try to lift my head up to see if my legs are even there, but the sharp ache of my neck doesn't allow it. I can't move. The feeling of stillness is something my body isn't used to. It's used to running all the time, used to a fast heartbeat and moving muscles. It's not used to being still, and neither am I.

I can't feel my legs. The realization of everything pieces together, and I wish it hadn't. The bomb. I set off a bomb. I threw it towards Evelyn and hurdled the other way...

Why can't I feel my legs?

I must be screaming. Either that, or the flames are running down my throat, burning off the walls with a searing pain. The pain engulfs me; the racking buzz in my head, the burn on my flesh, the ache in my stomach, all of it hurts. When I threw the bomb, I thought my death would be quicker than this. I thought I would evaporate under the burst of flames, disintegrate into nothing, and disappear. I thought I would enjoy death.

But I should've known that death would take me slowly, savoring every moment of my torture.

And it does. Because the most beautiful girl comes into my view, and I cry out with heartbreak that I have to leave her for death. Burns are scattered over her face and arms, her eyes wide with panic as her face scans me up and down.

"It hurts," I say, feeling the warm blood spill down my chin and onto my neck. Mia's tears are just as bad as mine; they travel down her face like a stream, each one holding a purpose. An echoing sound appears in my ears, and I see Mia pushing her body down to the ground, covering her ears. Are those gunshots? They aren't very loud...

"Mia, I can't feel my legs."

She comes over me again, her mouth moving but no sound I can hear.

"I can't feel my legs! Help me, Mia, I can't feel them-"

"You're okay."

I am? I watch as Mia bites her lip, her vast eyes looking down at my legs. She jumps as I scream out in pain, but I see another figure soon drop by her side.

"Tie this around his thigh. David and a few others are on their way-"

"I can't feel my legs, I can't-"

Adam looks down at me. "You're going to be alright, Archer. Your leg is injured, I know it hurts. You'll be getting help."

A pain rips through my thigh, and as I scream and try to move, Adam holds me down. My cries are mixed with Mia's as she causes me more pain. I close my eyes. I just want to close my eyes and sleep-