Chapter 16

Archer's POV

It's cold, colder then it's ever been. Every minute a chill runs through my body, up my spine till I shudder. My shirt is torn apart and ragged, from the whipping. The smell is sour, Ashley's lifeless body has been untouched, her eyes still open, looking at the ceiling. It smells so bad guards wear masks when they come down here, but not once do they touch Ashley. They keep the daily reminder of how I killed her in my head.

Maybe you should just leave. Mia's words run through my head, to the point where I make myself feel like nothing. Mia will never be the same anymore, not to me. I can't love her, it can't be the same.

I grab my snotty hair and pull, causing me to cry from the sting. I don't need any extra pain right now, but it feels right. Pain is my fuel, it's like I can't function without.

Two guards come down, one I don't recognize. He's big, not exactly all fat, but it's sure as hell not all muscle. He opens my cell and kicks me immediately.

"Get up, you lazy piece of shit."

I grunt and push him away. "Fat ass."

I prepare for it right away, and it comes. The beating. I knew I'd get it, but why does it matter anymore. My body's immune to it. Besides, they don't go to the point where I pass out, but it's as close as it'll get.

The man yanks me to my feet and clutches onto my shirt, walking up the stairs. I keep my face forward, steam practically coming out of my nostrils. I've just about had it here. Whatever they want to do, they better do it quick before I go insane.

The man opens the door, and I see two doctors, Evelyn and Melissa, all standing there waiting. Evelyn grabs my arm.

"Evelyn, how's it going." I say, making her confused, and almost embarrassed. "Melissa, nice to see you again."

"Is he okay?" A doctor asks, his brow scrunched. The other doctor is looking at me weird too.

"He's fine-"

"Fine!" I shout, looking at Evelyn. "Yes, I'm fine. Just fine. I've been living with my dead sister for days, but hell, I'm fine."

Evelyn grabs my wrists. "Okay." She mumbles. But I yank her arm a little to get her attention.

"But I guess being fine is better then being a monster." I whisper, her plain eyes actually looking at mine seriously for a moment. It fades away after a second. "Sit."

I look back at the doctors bed and sit, a doctor immediately putting a light into my eyes and into my ears. I tap my fingers against the bed, the constant tapping giving me anxiety. I stop, instead gripping the edge of the bed tight till my knuckles turn white. I watch as a doctor pulls out a needle, staring at my forearm. I stick my arm out, too tired to fight. I watch as the needle goes in and blood fills up the bottles.

"When will you be able to test and let us know," Evelyn asks a doctor. He shrugs. "A day, at least."

I glance at Evelyn, then back down at my blood. My life literally being sucked out of me. Like it hasn't been already.

"What's there to test."

"Just a test." Melissa says. "Why? Afraid of needles?"

I shake my head no. A dead body breathing, I think. That's all I am.

And the more I think about it, the more I believe it. I'm only here, causing problems for everyone. For Evelyn, Melissa, Dave, Mia...

Shit. Mia.

Do I even know her anymore? I thought we could work it out, I thought us two opposites could maybe get along. But we can't. She's not for me, never was. She saved my life, and now I'm starting to think it wasn't worth it. I can't, I can't wreck her life anymore. I've done too much. Way too much.

"Archer."

"Hmm"

"Get up." Melissa blurts. I didn't even realize the needle was out of my arm, and everyone was at the door. I stand up and follow them out, surprised they aren't handcuffing me. As we walk down unfamiliar hallways, I realize how shitty I look. I haven't showered in weeks, neither have I eaten. I can tell the weight loss, my jeans are too baggy. My body's immune to it anyway. But I am tired. So tired. So done.

"Archer?"

I look up, seeing a familiar face.

Tami.

You would think I would run right up to her and give her a punch. But, I don't think I have the energy too. Maybe that's why her face is filled with surprise. I'm not the Archer she knows.

"Wh-what did you do to him?" She asks, taking a step forward. "Is Mia here?" She glances at me. I give her a quick shake no, and her shoulders relax.

Tami still cares for Mia? Hell, for me, even?

"Move along, Tami." Melissa says, and Tami obeys, still keeping her eyes on me as she walks away.

"We'll have to keep an eye on her," Melissa mumbles. I see Evelyn nod. We continue to walk, all the way to a steel door. Evelyn unlocks it and the bright sun burns the back of my eyes.

Sunlight. Haven't seen that for a while.

"Oh my god."

I turn my gaze to the shadows before me and almost sink down to my knees. Right before me stands Dave, Adam, and other alliance members, not even armed. Evelyn and Melissa don't seem to care.

"Go." Evelyn says, and I look back at her. Her face shows no emotion.

"Archer." I turn back forward at Adam, whose face is filled with shock. My knees grow weak, I can't find my words. I want to scream with joy. I'm free! For some reason, I'm free. But no.

Screams of sadness and hopelessness come out instead.

I run up to Dave and wrap my arms around him, screaming into his shoulder with the last of my raspy voice that I have. He pats my shoulder, trying to shush me.

"What did you do to him?" Dave asks.

What did they do to me? Hell, I don't even know.

I almost can hear Evelyn's laugh. "He's not the same anymore. Never will be."

WHY HELLO ITS BEEN A WHILE!!!!
I'm so sorry I haven't been posting. School and sports and all that stuff has been taking over my life. BUTT I POSTED A CHAPTER YAY! Sorry it was rushed, but overall, how are you liking it? Please comment!😅☺️.

Thank you!