Chapter 21

Mia's POV

"I don't know what happened. I just-I got s-so upset, I don't know-"

"It's okay." Casper says as he looks at me from Archer. Archer is passed out cold, lying on the floor. Adam is by his side, checking his pulse and yelling for Dave.

"What the fuck were you thinking Casper?" Adam looks at him with a glare. "Beat him up while he was already beaten up by Evelyn? Beat him up while he was, slowly, getting better? Beat him up while he thinks that we all hate him? And now look!"

I look down at Archer. Blood runs down his body, but he looks at peace, with his eyes closed and chest rising and falling. Tears well up in my eyes.

He punched me.

Yes, I was pushing it, but I really thought he would of said my name. He did, eventually, but not the way I wanted him to. I was just so...upset. Upset that he forgot that he loved me. Upset that Evelyn took him away. Upset that he can't remember...

My jaw aches, but I can't help but think of Archer. Casper literally knocked him out. Yes, he was protecting me, but he didn't need to go that far, especially when he's scared of us.

Especially when he wanted me to end it.

He was so desperate for someone to end it. He wants to die, and I can't help but let the tears fall.

"What the-"

I look at the door and see Dave peeking in the room. He glances down at Archer, and in a second he's by his side, checking his pulse.

"He's alive." Adam says, "Casper here beat him up for no reason-"

"He punched Mia!" Casper says, but Adam is pissed.

"He was defending himself, dammit! He warned Mia, while you straight up attacked him! He was fucking tortured, and you think punching him till he's unconscious would do good? Jesus Christ-" Adam is about to lose it.

"Adam, help me lift him." Dave says, ignoring Casper and him yelling at each other. I watch as they lift him up, and Casper and I follow them all the way to the doctors. The doctors take Archer right away. Dave and Adam talk for a while, and then Dave comes over to me.

"Is that true, Mia? You didn't listen to Archer even when he warned you to not take another step?" Dave asks.

"Y-yes." I stutter. I wish Dave would know how much I regret doing this. "I don't know wh-what was wrong with me, I-I just got so...upset, I don't-" I can't help but let another sob out.

"It's okay." Dave says, "I'm more concerned about what Casper did anyway. But, he did punch you, so he's going to have to stay at the doctors awhile, and be on very high watch. People are going to think he's dangerous-"

"You can't lock him up." I say, but Dave has no emotion.

"He's going to have to be watched, which yes, means he'll have to be locked up-"

"No!" I say, "you can't-"

"Adam told me about what happened. He wanted someone to kill him. He's struggling, Mia. He's fighting a battle in his head that we can't see. He's at war with himself, and now other people are getting involved, which is dangerous. Adam has been noticing odd behavior from him-a lot of zoning out and talking about death. We have to be careful, we have to watch him."

"So we lock him up, where he's alone and will think even more, and will struggle even more with himself-"

"Mia, we can't just let him go and do his own thing. He needs help. We're going to get him a therapist, and put him on some medication. We are doing our best, you have to realize it's a miracle in itself that he's alive."

But he's not Archer. He's not the Archer I know.

"It's my fault. I just wanted him to say my name."

"He knows your name, but he's confused, that's all."

"Is there any way I can see him?"

"'Mia-" Dave begins, but I'm serious. He sighs. "Not today. He should wake up soon, but he's going to be even more confused than he is now. He needs time."

I nod, but I just want to hear his voice, and see his bright blue eyes again. Not when he's like this, but when he was the true Archer.

I see Adam walk out, and I follow him. He's angry, it's clear, but he doesn't get mad when I walk next to him.

"You know I'm sorry." I say, and he nods. "I know. Casper is the one who I'm pissed at."

"I deserved that punch, but Archer didn't deserve any of that." I say, and Adam looks at me. "You're okay, though?"

"Yeah." I say, "I just don't know what to do anymore. We have to kill Evelyn. We have to kill the mayors."

"We will. Dave wants to, that's for sure. It's just been hectic around here, especially with them literally handing Archer back to us. Dave can't figure out why-"

"To wreck me." I say, and Adam looks at me curiously.

To wreck me. Evelyn knows how much Archer means to me. She knows that I would take the time to help him, that everyone would take the time to help him...

Take time. Everyone has been taking the time to help. We've all been busy helping Archer.

Take time.

"Shit." I whisper, and I start walking back to Dave.

"Mia? What's wrong?" Adam is barely catching up with me, but I have to warn Dave.

Evelyn knew. She knew that Archer coming back would be the best distraction. She knew that this would last for days, weeks, of trying to help him.

And what a perfect time to attack when the Alliance is distracted.

"Dave!" I shout, and he's still where I talked to him last.

"I know why," I say, "Archer is back for a distraction, they want us to be off guard-"

"Hold on, Mia. What are you talking about?" Dave asks. Adam is also standing there, confused.

"Evelyn gave Archer back to distract us. We've been spending all these days wondering why they gave him back, and we spent days trying to take care of him. That's what Evelyn wanted, she knew we would be distracted by his appearance-"

"What are you saying then?" Adam asks. I take a deep breath.

"I'm saying that they're coming. They are going to attack. They want to catch us off guard."

"And what a better way to distract us by giving Archer back," Dave says, finally understanding what I'm saying.

"It's been almost two weeks since Archer's been back," Adam says. Dave nods, a nervous look on his face.

"Which means they're coming. Very soon."

••••••

Hello!!!!

So, I saw all the comments again, and I couldn't resist to write up a chapter and post it!!! :)

Thanks for all the support! Please keep voting and commenting!

Thank you :)