(i'll love you for a thousand years)

i.

They are children when they meet.

Predictably, they fight.

Predictably, Vermont climbs up a tree, using his smaller form and skills to his advantage.

Unpredictably, the crown colony of New Hampshire sits at the base of the tree and waits.

ii.

"Can you not?" New Hampshire asks in irritation as Vermont purposefully knocks another acorn down. The last one hit his head. This one doesn't, thankfully.

"You could leave."

"No. I want to know who you are."

No answer.

New Hampshire huffs. "Please?"

There's movement, and then Vermont drops onto a lower branch so he can actually see the other boy. He crosses his arms. "You first."

New Hampshire shrugs. "New Hampshire." He says simply. No hesitation.

"...Vermont."

iii.

"I'm not going to be Eve." Vermont says.

New Hampshire looks over. Vermont is weird and doesn't speak much, so New Hampshire tries to listen when he does.

"I wasn't made out of your bones or land or whatever. I am my own person." He puffs up. "It's my land."

"You read the bible?" New Hampshire asks instead of starting another fight about territory.

Vermont frowns. "I think I'm Catholic."

iv.

By the time Alfred finds them, it's weird to call each other anything other than their colony names.

It's weird sleeping separately after a decade of sleeping side by side.

Alfred lets them share a room- they can both tell he feels bad about it even though they would rather be together than apart.

They hold hands in the space between their beds.

v.

The first time they kiss, it's nothing but two sets of lips pressed together, but somehow it makes both of them breathless and giddy with joy.

vi.

The day after Cam kisses him for the first time, Monty's still wandering around in a happy daze.

When he goes back to their room that afternoon, however, Cam drops to one knee, presenting him with a ring.

A very familiar ring.

"Is that Samantha's?"

Cam flushes. "Um. Yes. Marry me?"

Monty raises his eyebrows. "Why?"

Cam flushes even more. "Because I like you. A lot. And I want to kiss you."

"That doesn't mean you have to marry me."

"Yeah, but Al said you have to marry someone if you kiss them."

There was silence.

"DAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDD!"

vii.

Monty says I love you first, and Cam peppers his face with kisses, says it back a dozen times.