Ghosts- 2

Little Gracie Watson had been so young when she died. Only six.

When she had died, it had been one of those times Scarlett could feel her immortality acutely- all those years, all that blood and death. Like a weight.

Over a century later, and little Gracie still haunts her graveyard.

Scarlett smiles at the sight of the inquisitive little girl poking at a deck of Pokemon cards someone had left as a tribute.

★★★★★

Lani makes her way through the tourists until she gets to an area for restricted personnel only.

Callie follows more hesitantly.

Lani feels the ghosts seconds before they appear. Men that were not born hers, but had died for her.

She can feel a few soldiers reach out, touching her arms or her hair.

Ev had said that they would be attracted to her warmth- that they would register her presence because of it.

Callie hangs back, but a few ghosts must recognize their home state because they drift closer to her.

Callie never says anything. She accompanies Lani sure, but Cal doesn't speak on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor when Lani drags her out so she can pay her respects.

Lani doesn't mind- Cal's the only one who will come with her to honor her fallen soldiers.

★★★★★

Nate has always gotten along well with lost people.

Not the physically lost, of course. The emotionally lost. The druggies, alcoholics, gamblers, a majority of prostitutes.

And maybe he inherited Alfred's need to protect people, because there were so many Friday nights he spent on street corners, watching out for his girls.

Sometimes that protection can extend into death, because its Saturday and he could be calling his girlfriend but instead he's in Virginia City making sure Lena isn't getting any trouble from her murderer.

Lena smiles when she sees him, shaking her head at the silent question.

"Go home to your girlfriend, Nathaniel. The dead can take care of themselves."

★★★★★

Lucinda is dead.

Brooke had never hoped that her spirit would linger.

And she doesn't. Luce doesn't come back as a ghost. Philip hadn't come back either.

She isn't surprised to find herself at the Hamilton's old home.
•••
"I loved you." She blurts out the second Alexander comes into view.

Alexander blinks once, slowly. She didn't think ghosts could pale. "I loved you, but I was a stupid child then. But I have to thank you for teaching me that nothing lasts forever."

She leaves before he can speak, and doesn't come back for a long, long time.

★★★★★

Ravenswood holds some fond memories for Caleb. He'd brought Addy to one or two of the parties.

He steps around the pieces of the glass Christmas ornament to greet the ghost.

Nadine smiles, all anger forgotten at the sight of an old acquaintance.

★★★★★

It's practically a tradition that when rumors about ghost sightings get around, the state in question goes to verify them.