treasures (part four)

Includes (but not in this order): Idaho, Maine, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

March 4, 1792
Alfred gives Monty a necklace with a star pendant for his first statehood anniversary.

Monty hands it to Cam to fasten around his neck.

Cam fastens it, and the star settles against Monty's sternum like it was meant to be there.

March 15, 1821
The ring is engraved with Foster's motto- Dirigo- and the stylized North Star he has on his on his seal.

Foster gives Alfred a tight smile, and Alfred realizes Sam never showed up to the party- and he remembers she hadn't come to his statehood ceremony, either.

Alfred sighs internally. She had to get over his statehood eventually.

March 29, 1822
There's an almost hollow look in Adam's eyes when Alfred comes up for his birthday.

He spends a strangely long time rubbing over the word hope on the ring with his flag on it.

Alfred clears his throat. "Have you seen your sisters lately? How are they doing?"

Adam's eyes, if anything, dim. He smiles, however, and that reassures Alfred. "Good, I guess. Connie's adopted like forty strays probably, and Sam. Well, you know Sam." His voice almost seems to crack when he says Sam's name.

God, I hope they weren't having a fight, Alfred thinks as he nods.

May 29, 1855
Alfred takes full responsibility for Oliver's slight cow obsession.

After all, he had been the one that though a calf was an appropriate seventh statehood anniversary.

Cordelia rolls her eyes at him.

May 23, 1872
That year, Daniel receives a more masculine version of Scarlett's charm bracelet: a few connected leather cords with charms strung on them.

Daniel examines the charms curiously, touching each one.

A salamander, a wren, a deer, a palmetto, a turtle. A shard of a lettered olive seashell, a piece of amethyst, and another of blue granite.

He smiles. "State symbols. I like it."

June 21, 1888
Live free or die.

The words have always felt harsh to Alfred, but Cam believes in them.

(It is not often that Alfred is truly terrified for his children, but sometimes Cam gets a look in his eyes that Alfred has seen in too many young soldiers too willing to become martyrs and even though the states had proved time and time again that the rules of death do not apply to them, Alfred is afraid-)

Cam smiles as rubs a finger over those very words engraved on the outside.

Cam doesn't notice the other words engraved on the inside of the band until later.

Not very many people remember the other half of the quote, and Cam huffs out a laugh as he sees the rest of it engraved there.

(Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.)

November 16, 1947
Theo has once again left the music room door open, allowing the clamor of a teenage boy self-teaching himself drums to escape out into the hallway.

He rubs the back of his neck sheepishly when Alfred presents him with the practice pad.

"Sorry-"