The American Revolution, Part Six, 1779

XVII. The Greatest Grief*
If I see it coming, do I run or do I let it be?; Is it like a beat without a melody?
-My Shot, Hamilton

New York, NY- January 7, 1779
England drops the box when confronted with a hissing snake.

The snake- a live rattlesnake- slithers out of the box and out of the tent.

It takes ten minutes for England to pick up the box again. A don't tread on me flag and a note.

This is for Savannah.

England fumes.

Port Royal Island, SC- February 3, 1779*
It isn't even a big battle.

Later, Daniel will be ashamed to admit that all he could think at the battle his other sister dies at was they made Scarlett cry.

And then he sees Will, and Brooke, and at first, he doesn't notice all the red staining Brooke's uniform.

And then he does.
--------------
When they bring home Brooke, bloody, limp, lifeless, he loses it.

He falls to his knees, there in the entryway, Brooke cradled against his chest.

His colony, his state, his little girl, his baby.

There are no sunshine smiles, no bright blue eyes.

There's no precedent for this- no way to tell if he'll ever see her take another breath or age past barely-fifteen.

He cries, and his tears mix with the blood on New York's blue uniform.

His baby, his third eldest, limp as a ragdoll in his arms.

She doesn't look like she's sleeping. Brooke could never stay still, even in sleep.

Will is on his knees, tears running down his face.

His sister's blood is spattered over his face, mixing with his tears. His sister's blood is all over his trousers, his shirt, coating his hands.

"I'm so sorry, dad, I am so sorry."

Alfred pulls his son towards him, holding as he soaks the shoulder of his shirt with tears.

He sits there holding his children, one alive, one dead.

SC- February 4, 1779
Nicky's hands shake as he reads the letter. The letter that Brooke left in case she died.

They had all written letters- just in case.

Dear, dear Nicky,
The Carolinas speak of a tug when Georgia was formed.

I know you never felt that, which is why you never said anything about being siblings.

I have a confession.

I felt the tug.

I would never have realized what it was if I had never met you.

But I looked at you and I knew, I knew you were my brother.