Chapter 10: Out in the Open

This story has to be one of the longest I've had out without updating consistently.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Greg woke to Mycroft's soft snores in his ear and loud knocking coming from the other side of the door. He sighed debating whether he should get up and open the door or snuggle closer to Mycroft and fall back asleep. Mycroft groaned and wrapped an arm around Lestrade who gladly let him. Another knock made Mycroft reluctantly open his eyes. The bags under Mycroft's eyes suggested he needed a couple more hours of rest and Greg would happily oblige to more rest with Mycroft.

"Yes?" Mycroft called out his voice gruffer than usual.

"Mum wants us to come open gifts." Sherlock said from the other side.

Mycroft groaned into Lestrade's shoulder not wanting to get up just yet. Lestrade felt Mycroft's weight shift and suddenly he was on top of Mycroft's chest. He rested his arm on both sides of Myc's face and the other man smiled up at him seemingly content. He could feel Mycroft's arms wrap around his waist and suddenly he forgot about Sherlock who was on the other side of the door waiting for them. He smiled down at his boyfriend not sure what had gotten into him.

"I want to wake up with you every morning." Mycroft murmured.

Mycroft sat up Gregory now on his lap. The sun pooled into the room casting a beautiful glow over Lestrade's bare torso and Mycroft knew that in that moment he wanted nothing more then to just stay where they were. Mycroft couldn't believe just how lucky he had gotten with Lestrade and he knew that being with the other man definitely made him happy. His heart hammered against his rib cage a thought suddenly came to mind. A thought he knew he couldn't ignore.

"More then usual?" Lestrade chuckled, but Mycroft shook his head his expression serious.

"Gregory, I absolutely adore you." He hummed, "I don't want to be hidden anymore, I want you, and only you."

His eyes canvased Lestrade's face searching for a reaction which he got when Greg raised a questioning eyebrow at him. His arms tightened around Greg's waist and the Detective inspector couldn't hold back the smile that graced his face along with the small blush that warmed the tips of his ears. Mycroft being verbally affectionate was a rare occasion even when it was just the two of them and Greg loved every second of it. Mycroft pulled him into a soft kiss before pulling away slightly their lips only inches apart.

"Marry me?" Mycroft whispered.

"What?" Greg pulled back his eyes wide and his lips formed into a small 'o' shape.

"Will you, Gregory James Lestrade, marry me?" Mycroft smiled.

"Are you serious? Is this another one of your-" Gregory frowned.

"I'm serious." Mycroft cut him off his eyes suddenly intense.

Mycroft slipped his hand into his night stand drawer and revealed a small black box with a golden bow on top of it. He opened the box to reveal a golden band with engravings on the inside. Greg felt his eyes go wide and his heart pounding in his ears. This was something he definitely didn't expect.

"Yes." Greg didn't hesitate this time around and Mycroft felt his body fill with relief.

Mycroft had a bright smile on his face and slipped the band around Greg's ring finger. Greg looked down at it and than back at Mycroft a grin still on his face.

Gregory pulled him into a kiss and it felt like absolutely nothing could ruin their moment. That is until another knock came from the other side of the door. Mycroft pulled away agitation clear on his face. Lestrade bit his lips his chest warm and his thoughts filled with thoughts of his and Mycroft's future together. Mycroft shifted a bit so that they were both comfortable not sure if they should just get up or stay in bed for the rest of the morning.

"Yes?" Mycroft called out.

"Tell Lestrade that father made him coffee." Sherlock huffed.

Mycroft looked back at Greg who nodded and they both moved from their spots on the bed even though they didn't want to. Gregory pulled on one of Mycroft's shirts and decided that he'd brush his teeth before sitting down with the Holmes family and John. Mycroft only sighed and unlocked his door Sherlock no longer there.

He looked around wondering if his brother was being intentionally huffy because both of them had finally told the truth or because they had gotten away with being together for this long. Mycroft couldn't tell but he knew that Sherlock was nonetheless annoyed. He sighed and both men made their way downstairs.

The house was filled with sounds that Mycroft was no longer use to. He stepped into the living room with Gregory close in tow. Sherlock had three gifts in his lap, John had two, and there was still a pile waiting for Mycroft and Greg. They sat beside Sherlock and John the sounds from the tv filling in the silence.

"Happy Christmas!" Their mother chirped.

Their father handed Greg and Mycroft mugs filled with warm coffee and tea for Mycroft. Both men thanked him and everyone started opening their gifts. Greg with the fewest (understandably) finished before everyone else; he received new jumpers and two pairs of socks. He thought that they were all lovely. He didn't mind that the gifts seemed "small" because he was already wearing the best gift he's ever received.

"Thank you all so much." Greg smiled and took another drink.

"Of course, you've been a delight." Their mother smiled.

The rest of them opened their gifts and everything seemed to be going smoothly until Sherlock caught a glimpse of Greg's left hand. He froze in his spot and his jaw dropped slightly. That was something he definitely wasn't expecting.

"You two are getting married?!"