Chapter Nine: Christmas Eve

Are you guys night people or morning people?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Night fell and the soft glow of the fire made Lestrade feel somewhat at ease even if this was one of the many times one of the Holmes boys made him feel awkward. Usually, in these situations, he'd find a way out and act like it never happened but this time was different. He had put himself in this situation and he accepted that.

Sherlock was reading a book just across from Greg who had resorted to watching a Christmas movie on tv. Mr. and Mrs. Holmes had turned in early making sure that Gregory was situated before heading to bed. Mycroft was off in his room doing Lord knows what and Lestrade could hear John in the other room talking on his phone.

"Gavin?" Sherlock had shut his book and was now looking at Lestrade.

"Greg." Lestrade corrected him, "and yes?"

"Why are you really here?" Sherlock was giving him a chance to come clean before he deducted why and they both knew it.

"I've already told you, Sherlock." Greg almost seemed disinterested but Sherlock knew better.

Greg had felt a tug at the back of mind telling him to end this run around with Sherlock to just tell the detective already. He knew he should do it, it'd make all their lives so much easier or at least he'd hoped it would. Greg looked up at Sherlock debating whether or not he should just say it. Sherlock raised an eyebrow watching the cogs turn in Gregory's head. He decided he'd talk to Mycroft about it later when everyone else was sleeping.

Sherlock sighed obviously disappointed with Greg's choice, "You're here for my brother, correct?"

"I'm helping with the job? or at least I think that's why I'm here." Greg lied and Sherlock would've believed him if he didn't already know the truth.

"The job?" Sherlock inquired adjusting himself on the sofa so that he was now facing Lestrade.

"Yes." Lestrade nodded not sure what Sherlock was getting out of this.

"What job is that exactly?" Sherlock placed his fingers under his chin his eyebrows now raised.

"I'm not sure yet, but when I am I'll let you know." Lestrade smiled now looking back at the tv screen.

The silence grew between the two as Sherlock stared him down. Gregory was tempted to leave the room all together but that would make him much more suspicious looking then he'd care to be. Sherlock did not look away even when John walked into the room with a questioning gaze. Greg looked over at Sherlock finally his eyebrows knit together.

"Bloody hell, Sherlock, what?" Greg adjusted himself so that he was facing Sherlock.

"You're a terrible liar, Lestrade." Sherlock scoffed in his usual superior tone.

It took every ounce of Lestrade's strength not to gloat about how he and Mycroft had kept their relationship quiet for over a year. He only rolled his eyes as to not give himself away. Sherlock smirked before standing up and stretching, Greg was sure that he was definitely up to something he just didn't know what. Sherlock walked off without another word and he felt himself sigh in relief no longer under Sherlock's gaze.

"Sherlock suspects something between you and Mycroft." John finally spoke up and Greg scoffed.

"Odd, I barely know the man." Of course, Lestrade felt awful for lying to John, but if he told John then he'd tell Sherlock.

"I mean he truly suspects you two are courting one another." John hummed.

That's when it clicked for Lestrade, Sherlock knew, how could he and Mycroft be so daft. The sudden spike of interest Sherlock had for his and Mycroft's intentions for one another should have been the first sign yet he had ignored it because he assumed Sherlock didn't know. Lestrade raised an eyebrow at John and opened his mouth to say something but stopped himself. John sat back watching Lestrade put it together.

"I'll be back in a moment." Lestrade finally spoke and John only nodded.

Lestrade moved out of the living room and went towards Mycroft's door his heart pounding. He knocked on the door and a stifled 'just a moment' came from the other side. Lestrade impatiently tapped his foot not sure what to do with himself. The door swung open to reveal a half-awake Mycroft. His hair was messy and his clothes disheveled, Greg would've felt bad for waking him up if he wasn't so panicked. Lestrade moved in and Mycroft shut the door behind them.

"What's the matter, Love?" He yawned and Greg turned to him with wide eyes.

"Sherlock knows!" Greg whisper-yelled, "I didn't tell him but I know he knows."

"I know." Mycroft sighed.

"And I don't know when he-" Greg stopped midsentence and narrowed his eyes, "you know?"

"Of course, I found out while on our way here." Mycroft spoke casually, "he wouldn't stop staring at you."

Gregory grew rigid and Mycroft knew he had upset the Detective Inspector. Greg crossed his arms over his chest and looked up at the ceiling with tight lips. Mycroft took a seat on the bed waiting for Greg to speak, he knew it was better to not say anything until Greg got whatever was frustrating him out in the open. Greg rubbed his eyebrow before sighing and looking back at Mycroft.

"You didn't think to tell me?" He spoke in a calm tone that Mycroft knew well.

"I knew you'd figure it out." Mycroft stood up and pulled Greg towards him, "I just wanted extra time to figure out everything before we officially told my parents and brother."

Greg stood silently in Mycroft's arms not sure if he should be angry or relieved. They no longer had to sneak around, but he hated that Mycroft didn't tell him that Sherlock knew. He sighed and leaned into Mycroft's hold his head now resting on the taller man's chest. Mycroft wrapped his arms around Greg and kissed the top of his head.

Mycroft looked over at the clock that hung on his wall and couldn't hold back the smile that reached his lips. The clock struck twelve and they had officially spent their entire Christmas eve together. Greg shut his eyes enjoying the warmth that came from his boyfriend. The silence in the room was comforting and Greg could fall asleep right then and there.

"Happy Christmas, Love," Mycroft whispered.

"Happy Christmas."