Chapter Thirty Five-Battle Preparation

As much as Erianthe understood how amusing her situation was, she didn't appreciate Chris and Erik's laughter. The girl placed a palm on the invisible barrier in front of her.

"It's not funny," she said.

The man and the boy kept laughing.

Erianthe groaned. As of now, she still hadn't figured out how to undo Colosseum's effects. As a result, she and Erik were trapped inside the barrier of her own creation for the next five minutes. Up until now, her practices with Erik had gone well. Erianthe was grateful that Erik spent the time to help her get stronger.

Still, falling to the ground in laughter was a bit much.

"I'm sorry, it's just the look you have is amusing." Erik chuckled. "Don't worry. I doubt you'll make this mistake again. After all, Chris won't be chucking water skins at you tomorrow morning."

"I did warn you," Chris said.

After waiting under the afternoon sun for the next five minutes, Erianthe's cheeks burned from embarrassment and the heat. The cool autumn breeze took away some of the heat though.

After the group had parted from Atalae and Mellion, Erianthe had practiced unleashing Aegis' abilities every time they rested and every night. Now, when she couldn't rest because of the nightmares, Erianthe took her sword and practiced her swings as Caligula watched from a distance. Practice didn't take away the awful visions of her family and home's destruction, but the work had made her stronger.

"I hope I'm ready," Erianthe said.

Even though she was stronger, Erianthe didn't know if it was enough.

"Oh, we need to leave. Raios is calling us," Erik said. "Let's go kids."

Erianthe and Chris shared a look but didn't say anything. Both of them knew that they were well past the age to be called children.

As the group got ready to head off again, Erianthe asked the question that had burned in her mind since Hector's capture.

"Um, what will happen after we capture the Rogues?" Erianthe asked.

"They will be tried for their crimes," Raios said.

Erianthe cast her eyes down and fiddled with her fingers. "Would I have to judge them?" she asked softly.

Years of battle experience in fighting monsters did not prepare her to judge. That was her parents and Kyros' parents responsibility. Unlike them, Erianthe lacked the wisdom that came with age.

Raios thought for a moment before answering. "You want to know if you will judge them in Delos' stead?"

Erianthe nodded.

"No. I doubt that the Decapolis would let you try them," Raios said. "But, you would have a great say in their punishment. I do not mean to frighten you, but that would mean deciding if they should be executed in recompense for the lives lost," Raios said.

Beside Erianthe, Erik stiffened but stayed silent.

"Whatever your decision, I'll make sure your voice is heard," Raios said. "I'll say this though. The Rogues will be found guilty."

"I don't know if I can," Erianthe mumbled.

Raios smiled comfortingly. "You want justice for your town, yes?"

Erianthe nodded.

"Then Delos shall get it. What form that takes can stay undecided for now," Raios said.

With that, Raios ended the conversation and helped the rest of them get ready to ride to town. Erik rode Caligula this time to give Erianthe a break from handling the horse. Like always, Caligula flicked the man before allowing Erik to mount. By this point, Erianthe wondered if the horse had a problem with males other than her father. Caligula never flicker her.