Chapter Twenty Four--March to Altera (Pt.1)

"These pieces won't contain the bolt," Raios said. "They only conduct energy."

Erianthe listened to Raios' analysis without speaking. This was their leader. Unlike Erik, this man exuded a calm, reserved politeness instead of warm hospitality. All in all, Raios was intimidating. It could have been the fact that Raios was her father's age or the chained scythes on his belt.

"Can't we still use it to implode the bolt? Mijon's original idea was to contain the bolt then blast it after all," Erik said.

Raios shook his head and went back to analyzing the pieces of metal. "These pieces are just the conductors, not the amplifiers. The Rogues have the amplifier."

For the first time since they had returned to Lyca, Erianthe spoke. "I'm sorry."

"It is not your fault," Erik said. "My brother should not have attacked the Rogues. Please forgive him."

"I all ready did."

Raios set down the metal piece. "Don't be too harsh on him, Erik. It's doubtful that they would have been able to recover the amplifier from the Rogues in any situation."

"Yes, Raios."

Erianthe observed the heroes' leader as Raios pondered their situation. Deep in thought, Raois shifted his weight to one foot and gazed at the metal pieces on the table. As of now, the heroes main problem was not finding the Rogues but creating a way to defeat the Rogues.

When Erianthe had told Raios about the Rogues' meeting in Altera, the man pulled out a map. Red circles dotted the page. After a moment of searching, Raios pointed at a red dot near the ocean and across a bay from a crescent outcropping of land.

It was Altera. The crescent outcropping across the bay was the Forbidden Isle.

After a few minutes, Raios brushed his hair back and sighed.

"We're heading out in the next hour," Raios stated. "We'll take the wagon. Erianthe, I heard you have a horse?"

"Um, yes, sir."

In a polite manner, devoid of criticism, Erik asked, "Raios, we may have the Rogues' location now, but we have no way to defeat them. As of now, we don't have enough heroes to match them."

Raios pointed at Erianthe, who stepped back at the sudden spotlight.

"We need to head out now. It will take two weeks to get to Altera, and we will barely make it in time for the full moon. You can train her," Raios said. He turned to Erianthe. "If you are willing, of course."

"Yes, I am," Erianthe said.

Raios nodded. "Please prepare eveything for the journey. I will return after sending a message to Mellion. Perhaps he can help us."

Raios hurried out of the room as his chain-scythe jangled at his side. Taken aback by Raios' sudden departure, Erik opened his mouth to speak then closed it again. Thinking better of it, Erik instead turned to Erianthe and forced a smile.

The girl knew that the man was still baffled, however. Erik couldn't really hide the embarrassing blush on his face.

"I'm sorry about that. Raios really is quite nice when he isn't focused on his strategies so much."

"No, no. I thought he was very polite," Erianthe said. "He seems very strong."

"He is. Raios is one of the strongest fighters I've ever met," Erik said. "I have no doubt he's going to detail his battle strategy later, so let's just focus on gathering all the supplies."

A few hours later, Erianthe and Erik loaded a wagon for their long journey. The two loaded a few bags of food and water, extra blades for Atalae' rod, and a large basket of salt.