Chapter Twenty Two--Midnight Ride

Caligula couldn't outrun the tiger wolves forever.

Erianthe's mind struggled to create a plan to fight the tiger wolves behind her. Judging by the number of sounds, the pack had at least three members or more. She doubted they numbered more than five. Of all the packs she had seen before, their numbers never went above five.

The tiger wolves gained on her. Any minute now, their claws could sink into her back and knock her down. The last thing she'd see would be their fangs and their orange-striped coats.

Erianthe released a deep breath and focused. Fear would not get her out of this situation. Fear had not helped her in protecting Delos. Thus, Erianthe focused on urging Caligula faster down the road and formulating a plan.

First, she needed information. As her father had said, knowing the enemy would best the enemy.

Erianthe glanced back for a brief second. Even though the four wolves gained on her a bit more, Caligula managed to stay ahead. Four tiger wolves were too many for her to handle in a brawl.

Erianthe forced herself to think. Tiger wolves didn't attack multiple travelers because of their fear of the human numbers. The beasts also didn't like fire. Erianthe, however, couldn't procure more humans or any sort of fire.

"Woah," Erianthe said.

At the last second, she jumped Caligula over a tree in the middle of the road. Padded feet and snarls followed Caligula's hoofbeats. Of course, the growling tiger wolves had no difficulties chasing after her. To them, their prey wasn't the least bit obscured in the dark. They had excellent night vision because of their sensitive eyes . . .

An idea floated into Erianthe's mind.

Right away, Erianthe readied a piece of the Orichalcum's metalwork in her hand. She'd have to throw it once Caligula turned again since she couldn't throw backward. Straight ahead, the fork in the road leading to the mines grew closer.

When Erianthe hurried Caligula to the left onto the path to the silver mines, she took the chance to hurl the metal rod in her hand at the tiger wolves. As it flew through the air, she activated her sword.

To her relief, the metal rod reacted with her sword. The metal gleamed brightly like a torch in the night.

And the wolves were blinded for a moment.

While the tiger wolves scattered for a second, Erianthe hurried Caligula forward. She'd need as much distance between her and the wolves for the rest of her plan to work.

Erianthe halted Caligula once the trees thinned near the North Clearing and jumped off the horse's back. A few seconds out of view, the tiger wolves howled to each other. Wasting no time, Erianthe grabbed the rest of the rods off Caligula's back and took off her cloak. Cold air hit her arms.

The tiger wolves ran closer. And closer.

When Erianthe caught a view of their eyes, she hurled the second metal rod straight in front of them just as one leaped at her. Again, the rod glowed. While its pack was stunned, Erianthe cut down the leaping tiger wolf in one smooth motion.

It vanished into dust.

Erianthe missed with the third rod. Instead of landing in front of the beasts, it lodged in a tree behind them.

As soon as she grabbed the fourth rod, Erianthe dodged a bite from one of the tiger wolves and earned a graze from another. The scratch smarted on her leg. She didn't have time to use the fourth rod before another wolf marked her shoulder.

Erianthe used the fourth and fifth rods to distract the pack and kill off another tiger wolf. The mild aches in her shoulder and leg told her that the battle was growing more and more difficult. Her sword felt too slow.