Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Adam's POV:

"Its counting down...." I mumbled watching the numbers count down. Tearing my eyes away from the black digital clock above the barred door and looking back at my companion. He was looking at the clock too, but I could not even make out what he was thinking and he didn't seem obligated to respond to my analysis of the clock. Then another thought wiggled its way into my brain. "This is a game....?" I was literally surprised to see my strange companion nod his head in agreement, although it kind of looked like he did the motion absentmindedly, as he seemed to be looking around. I was still focused on the clock, like an idiot. That I almost missed it when he suddenly made a beeline for the trees, causing him to disappear in their shadows. I ran after him, mainly because I didn't know what prompted him to run. I lost sight of him when a tree branch smacked me in the face, cause by him barging through them.

I stopped trying to catch up to him once I noticed that I lost him. That is until an arm came from the depth of the shadows of the trees and pulled me into the darkness. My shoulder slammed hard against the side structure of the dome. "Hey, what gives?" I snapped.

His hand immediately covered my mouth tightly in an iron grip. It hurt, and my hands instantly went to dislodge it from my face, but froze when his grip tightened even more, when footsteps; hurried footsteps came closer to the spot we were just standing. I could see them through a small gap in the trees, and suddenly came to realize why my companion had bolted. I couldn't make out what they were saying, due to the fact they were whispering. They were wearing riot gear. They had walked right past us. I let my eyes move to my strange companion. 'He doesn't want to be seen.' And the way the men were dressed, they obviously weren't employees of a museum. Were they the ones who put us here?

'Are we prisoners?'

My companion picked up a fallen branch and threw the stick where it flew in a direction far from where we were. The men in riot gear quickly chasing after the sound the wood made as it landed. Once the men were out of sight, my masked and hooded companion went back to the doors, pulling out some sort of wire from his pocket, handing it to me.

"Take the hinges off the barred doors." He instructed, voice deep and rough, as if he barely uses it.

I was a bit aw-struck that he even talked. However his mask just unnerved me. But hey! He talked. He sounded relatively normal. I didn't know how to respond back, or react. I didn't want to damage the progress we just made by him communicating. However now I was deeply interested in what he looked liked. I squinted my eyes and tried to see in the shadows of his hood, trying to get a peek of his eyes at least. I mean if we were going to escape this dome together I think I have a right to know who my companion is.

The guy looked at me in silence for a moment, before sighing impatiently at me. He slowly removed his hood and removed the creepy ski mask, shoving it into his back pocket. I felt my head tilt slightly as I examined his face. He was normal. I thought maybe he wore that ski mask to hide some type of deformity or something, but nope, he was normal looking. Hazel eyes, strong jaw, and light disheveled chestnut colored hair and all. He look maybe two year older than me. The one thing that kept drawing my eyes though, were his eyes. They seemed to look through me, they were cold and apathetic. 'Well, at least now I know he's human.'

"Do you feel more comfortable now?" He asked, when I still made no move to take the wires from his hand. His voice carried an annoyed tone Now that he said something though. I did feel myself relax at seeing his face. "Use the wire to pull the pin out of the hinge." He instructed, slapping the wire in my hands and gripping the bars. "I will hold the door to give the hinges some leeway."