Chapter 14: Chili Con Carne Village and a tiny crisis

" And that connects everything with everything "

Momonga folds his arms and lets out a satisfied sigh. He stares at Ryuo as he snores, his head against the wall. A small stream of drool drips from his massive mouth. A small snot bubble grows and shrinks along with his breathing. His satisfied sigh turns into anger as he brings a hand towards Ryuo's cheek, the skeletal hand slapping him awake.

"I'm listening, I'm listening..."

Ryuo wipes his nose with a gloved hand, only spreading the snot more. He shakes his hands in disgust as he stares at the string of snot flying in the air.

Ainz rubs his eyebrows? as he tries to stifle a groan. He shakes his head as he stares at Ryuo try to remove the snot from his gauntlet.

"Did you even listen to me?"

He asks, only to get a booger flung into his forehead. Ryuo grimaces as he shakily brings his hand to his skeleton friend's skull, the finger digging into his head to pick the booger up. Ainz groans in anger.

"I hate you"

"I love you too, you fag"

---

"Mama!"

The cries of the townsfolk filled the orange sky as they mourned for their loved ones, makeshift crosses standing out of the ground. Young ones clung to their elderly, soaking their clothes with tears as the adults held back, giving the fallen peace in their final resting place.

Ryuo and Ainz stared at the people mourn and cry for their loss. Ryuo stared, his gaze watching them hug their elders as they weeped in grief. He felt so...

...so empty...

He stared above the fallen's graves, his gaze fixed but shaking. His eyes wide open as he bites his glove, his teeth digging into the metal. He saw the little white specks fly upwards, some dark ones lingering in the earth with nothing but a shell of their hatred. He stared at the souls as he felt it try to claw it's way out. The... the itch...

...the hunger...

He bit harder, feeling the metal give way as he bit through his hand, bone and all. He felt something vibrate in his chest, a primal urge forcing him, unseen hands pulling him from his spot to the wisps.

His eyes widen as he stares at his hand, spitting out the flesh of his own palm in disgust.

'What's happening to me?'

As fast as it came, the feeling disappeared. The hunger vanished, leaving him with only disgust and shame in the back of his throat.

Ainz leaves as the sun sets in the horizon, and Ryuo follows slowly as he stares into his hand. The able work together to help restore the village, aiding in the carpentry and the masonry.

They walk across town, the silence their only company as they head to the village chief. A man carrying a plank passes them by, quipping a small hello as he walked past the two behemoths.

They stopped in their tracks, the question at the tip of their tongues, and they just can't say it. Ryuo shakily asks, the usual happy-go-lucky demeanor gone.

"What do you think of humans, Momonga?"

Ryuo hung his head low, his gaze stuck to the ground. His arms lay motionless at his side, with his shield slowly swaying on his forearm.